• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Broken D30 passenger outer u-joint??

csr_011

NAXJA Forum User
87 XJ RENIX 4.0, 4 door, 4x4, 235/75/15's, auto w/AC

Ok, I know this has been covered by the searches I have done and the axle write up on Madxj's site, so I kind of have an idea of how it will go... :D

My first question is: Should a person with somewhat above average technical abilities and a good array of tools attempt at performing a replacement of the D30 seals, bearings, and u-joints on his own rig NOT having done this type of repair before?

My second question is: Will it matter if I do the repairs on the front axle outside in the 20 degree weather we are so blessed with having this week? :D:D Having worked in tool and die/machining, I know that somethings should be done in a temp controlled environment, not sure about this though...

The real challenge is the $$$$ as I graduate in two weeks and cant afford the labor to have the pros do it, heck, I can barely afford the price of the parts right now!! Its not my daily driver, but I will need it for hunting at the end of December out in the beautiful sandhills of Nebraska!!

Thanks!

Cory

The axle u-joint is no problem, but the seals/bearings are basically a complete tear down and re-setup of the diff. I set up diffs and have the tools/press etc, I wouldn't bother in the outside and cold. It takes several shots at the set up to get it just right, 3-4 hours for an experianced tech.

To replace the u-joint, drain diff, remove the wheel, caliper, disc. Loosen the 36 mm axle nut, loosen the 3 torx head bolts on the unit bearing and knock it out. Carefully pull the axle from the housing. Now you can take the assembly inside where its warm and replace the u-joint, be carefull not to damage the unit bearing so that you can re-use it. Carefully slide the axle back into the housing(lube the end of it with some diff lube)so that you do not damage the axle seal, then just retighten everything.

If the bearings are still spinning without making a BUNCH of noise then delay them. The seals are a pita to change so do what eweryone else does and inverst in some outer seals. (porc $69) If your going to go this route, wait till you get them and do everything at once. NO NEED to even pull the cover or drain the fluid. Just pull the unit hubs and the axles, yes if the diff is perfectly full of fluid you may have some run out into the tubes but who cares, your putting on end seals remember? Install the ujoints, end seals, stick it back together and add some fluid. Job done.

I may get some flaming for this response BUT at 20 degrees, the less time you spend outside under your truck the better in my book.

Back