• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Strange Exhaust SMELL....???

XpedientJ

NAXJA Forum User
After eight days away for T'giving, I fired up the '99 XJ on Monday to get everything hot'n moving again.... The battery was disconnected during the down time.

After running for a bit, following a brief shut-off...I noticed a strange smell, like something burning. Thought it could be a vehicle ahead, pulled onto a side street and stopped to see if any smoke was coming from underhood, etc. Nothing. Temp. gauge read fine. Decided to continue the few minutes home, and check further there.

Finally, determined that the smell was defiinitely emanating from the exhaust pipe itself. No, not from around the exhaust system, OUT of the pipe... Smells kinda like trash burning at the dump, back when we hand open-burning dumps...:) (Locking gas cap appears unviolated) Oil appears fine, smells fine, and is recent... Nothing seems or appears amiss under the hood. Smell seems to be decreasing as the rig is run more... Thought a little critter coulda wandered into the exhaust pipe or....is it possible a sensor or something did not reset after the power-off period? Any thoughts.....?? About 78K mi. on the rig...possible it is the converter? What are the implications of it occurring right after the 8 days of inactivity??

Strange one...

Why did you unplug the battery?

Reminds me of a buddy's 69 Mach 1, hadn't run for about 2 years and I was there when it 'awoke', it was kinda hesitant at first until he romped it then a couple of critters came out in a puff of smoke doin Mach 1(pun intended) :)

Back