• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

D35 or Chrysler 8.25

JeepXJ_90

NAXJA Forum User
Which is better the d35 or the 8.25 cause i know a guy who might given me an xj for free with a 8.25 in it... i think... hes got either a 94 or a 95 xj i don't remember and i wanna put it in my 90

The 8.25 is stronger, but you would be better off finding a 97' up 8.25 it will have 29 spline axles and be even more strong. If you are not running big tires or putting big power through the D-35 it will be fine.

well for one the ring and pinion is stronger period because you have an 8.25 vs the d35s 7.5 inch ring gear. Second, the housing for the d35 is like 2.25 in i believe (correct me if im wrong) whereas the 8.25 housing is 3 inches in diameter. Go read the axle sticky that I believe is in MOD tech?

Yes, certain parts of the 8.25 are stronger than the D35, but don't waste time with the 27-spline version of the 8.25. The axle shafts are just as weak as the shafts in the D35. The 29-spline shafts are a little stronger and it's usually a cheap enough upgrade to warrant it. However, if you have the funds, a D44 is a much better upgrade.

Back