• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

REAR SWAYBAR

if you're not going to be doing and real towing than take it off... won't affect handling much unless you're trying to drive your jeep like it's a sportscar

1 More vote for no rear sway bar. Lifted 3" and dropped the sway bar, never noticed a difference in the handling (as far as sway is concerned).

white99XJ said:
if you're not going to be doing and real towing than take it off...

Just take it off.

My last XJ (2001 Sport, completely stock) had it attached. I removed it and noticed no difference whatsoever, even loaded. This is probably the cheapest (read: zero-dollar) mod you can perform on a Cherokee that will noticeably help off-road ability.

My current XJ (2000 Limited) had it removed from the factory as part of the Up-Country package; didn't notice any difference with it gone sitting an inch or so higher than normal. Currently lifted about 3.5" over stock on OME suspension all around, I still don't notice any difference - and that includes towing a car on a flat trailer every six weeks or so.

If you're still on worn-out stock suspension (which means virtually every XJ on the road right now with factory suspension), ride and handling are going to suck regardless of whether or not the rear swaybar is in place. However, if your rear leafs are shot, it might be beneficial to keep it on there until you can replace them (and doing the shocks at the same time would probably be a good idea).

won't affect handling much unless you're trying to drive your jeep like it's a sportscar

Which you shouldn't be doing in the first place anyway ;)

Last edited:
Back