• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

89 xj fuel rail leak

bcmaxx

NAXJA Forum User
Hi There, Tried search but came up with error message, I have been battling fuel leaks since spring,started with fuel injector o-rings, progressed to fuel injectors,after replacing all six and a couple of leakers under warranty is was good and dry for a few weeks, now i have a pretty good leak coming from the vacuum pot on the end of the rail, I think its the fuel pressure regulator.Anyone seen this problem before, I'm starting to think that maybe this darn thing has been overpressurizing my fuel rail??Replace the rail?Help Anyone please!Thanks!

When you replaced the injectors and installed new O rings, did you also replace the O ring where the pressure regulator joins the fuel rail? Did you REPLACE the fuel line quick disconnects at both ends of the fuel rail? You must, must, must replace these quick disconnects every time you pull them apart - they cannot be re-used. There is a kit with two O rings and spacer and install tool available from the dealer. If you try to reuse them, they will most likely leak, this will most likely drip fuel onto the exhaust manifold, and this will most likely incinerate your XJ. I'm not being alarmist - service all the connections and your leaks should stop unless the steel tube of the fuel rail itself has been damaged somehow.

yup that was my leak, the o-ring on the regulator side.I have since pulled my spark plugs and oxygen sensor and they are white like snow , It must have been running lean because of the leak. I putting new plugs in ,recommend new oxygen sensor?It was only a couple moths old.Thanks

Back