• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

narrowing a D44 one side or both

VegasAnthony

NAXJA Forum User
So Im about to narrow my 44 to use waggy inners ..

JP mag did a 44 into a YJ and just took 5" off the pass side

Ive read writeups that took 2.75" off both

but when I figure the diffrences from warn axles lengths

I get 3.12 on the dr side and like1.75 on the passanger side
any one care to chime in

1975-1977 F-150 PICKUP Front Dana 44 (Length 18.91 in.; 30 Spline; Driver Side;) 39143 KB2;KB3
1975-1977 F-150 PICKUP Front Dana 44 (Length 33.91 in.; 30 Spline; Passenger Side;) 39144 KB2;KB3
GMC

1980-1983 WAGONEER Front Dana 44 (Length 15.8 in.; 30 Spline; Driver Side;) 39459 KB2;KB3
1980-1983 WAGONEER Front Dana 44 (Length 32.12 in.; 30 Spline; Passenger Side;)

I did mine to the waggy size. To do the 5" off of one side doesn't seem to be a real good choice if you’re rotating the knuckles. Splitting the difference might work if there is shafts for that size available. I picked the waggy size because there were alot of waggy axles (if needed) in the junkyard here to get spares from, till I got my cromo shafts. IMO I would go with the waggy size. Good luck!!

VegasAnthony said:
I get 3.12 on the dr side and like1.75 on the passanger side
any one care to chime in

That sounds about how much I took off each side on mine. I dont remember the exact numbers but it was close to that. My housing now works just fine with stock waggy inner shafts. Got some alloys in there now and everything is peachy with the shafts.

AARON

MRShoeBoy--who was the supplier for your Waggy alloys?

If your not turning the knuckles just do one side. I would pick a length that allows you to use an OEM long side though. You can do some research on pirate, but I think Bronco long sides are like 4-5" shorter than FSJ.

That way even if you got custom shafts, you could carry a set of OEM loaded ones on the trail.

Just an idea :)

EDIT...

Sorry I didn't read your post correctly. I would verify your numbers, and maybe just get the shafts first. The internet has been way wrong before :)

Back