• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Just installed Lift. It's MUCH higher than anticipated.

QKRTHNU

NAXJA Forum User
95' XJ Sport:

Measured all four corners in my garage pre-lift, center of hub to fender was 17"-17 1/2 as expected. I also measured ground to fender.

I just installed the following:

Rusty's 3.5" Spring Pack kit - 180lb spring rate
Rusty's BPEs on all four shocks
Rusty's 1.5" extended Shackles
1" coil spacer from RockyRoad
1" T-Case drop from RockyRoad

After a test drive I measured again in the garage.
5" lift up front (not much more than the 4.5" expected)
7" lift in rear - Whoa!

I know these Spring Packs generally give more lift than advertised (especially before they settle), but 5.5" out of a 3.5" pack was not what I anticipated.

I'm getting some vibes when getting on or off of the throttle so I'm going to throw a bunch of weight in the back to see if it helps break in the new pack.

Does this seem par for the course, or am I overlooking something? The packs have the correct model number printed on them.

The Shackles are pretty close to vertical BTW.

Thanks,

Rob

Go pickup 3 or 4 fat chicks then go for a long drive over bumpy roads, it will help it settle faster....:D :D

That's about normal. Throw 500 pounds in the back of the jeep and drive around for a few months.

It'll settle out in a lil while, slapped on my leafs on my 99, took a couple months for them to settle at a little over 3.5"

same thing happened to me, rustys packs are really stiff. you can try pulling one of the leafs out and driving around for a month then putting it back in. or just load the back end up with crap and drive it around. mine settled out after about 4 months

rehab said:
same thing happened to me, rustys packs are really stiff. you can try pulling one of the leafs out and driving around for a month then putting it back in. or just load the back end up with crap and drive it around. mine settled out after about 4 months

I dont know about stiff, but I agree that if you pull the bottom leaf it will drop you down some. I put it back in eventually and am sitting at 3.5".

Besides, does Rustys make a 3.5 kit now?? I usually tell people to plan on 1" more lift than advertised initially, and settle in around 0-.5" taller. The front sounds right if they really are 3.5" coils. My Rustys coils sat right at the advertised 3.0", and around 5" from the leafs. Now its more like 2.75F, 3.5R.

they always sold 3.5" leafs, i called them up, they had advertised 3.5, then 3, then 3.5 again but he said they were the same springs, just a typo on the site

Starscream918 said:
Did you tighten the leaf spring bolts with the Jeep on the ground?
Not at first. I've since re-torqued them though.

Update: After a hundred miles or so the rear has dropped an inch to 6" above stock. Hopefully it will drop another inch eventually which would match the advertised height (3.5" spring + 1.5" shackle).

QKRTHNU said:
Not at first. I've since re-torqued them though.

Update: After a hundred miles or so the rear has dropped an inch to 6" above stock. Hopefully it will drop another inch eventually which would match the advertised height (3.5" spring + 1.5" shackle).
Take it wheeling a few times and get them flexing. That should help them along.

rehab said:

with my 4.5" rustys kit, i got about 6" out of the rear initially. i pulled out the bottom leafs in the packs, and put 4 75# bags of concrete mix in back.. it helped it settle and softened up the ride quite a bit. it's been about a year now, and i'll never put the bottom leafs back in.

Back