• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

136a Alt swap

balloo93

NAXJA Forum User
Well, I decided to tackle this swap since the alt has been just sitting in my garage taunting me for weeks!

It didn't go as easily as planned at all. Here woudl be some of the highlights of what I learned about this swap:

If you have AC on your rig, it's the best idea to remove the batt tray, and fan shroud and fan to get the alt out.

You have to grind quite a bit off of the bracket to make it fit, then you have to grind some of the timing cover as well to make it fit.

Okay, so I get the old alt out and swap the plastic guard off the old one to the new one. Easy to do. I then mocked up the new alt to the bracket to see where it would hit and how much to grind. What I didn't realize is that the timing cover mounts up against the mount and two of the humps that are grounded off on the bracket have matching humps on the timing cover.

Finally ground those down as well and the alt bolted right up. Yaaaa.............boooo. The front bracket now had clearence issues with the serp belt. So after about an hour of grinding a little here, then a litte there, it finally went on.

Yaaaa...................booooo. Now the F'ing serp belt is way to long?!?! Apparently in my overzelous grinding I must have in some way affected the pulley postion. The stock and new pulleys are the same size, one having 6 grooves and the other 7, but the same approx size!

I go over the routing again and a again and again. Can't find any other way to make it work, so in disgust I close the hood and decide that tommorow cooler heads will prevail.

Next day, same headache. So today I go to AutoZone and find a 6 groove belt with the approx length I need and will hopefully get this SOB mounted and tested.

This thing is driving me nuts! I couldn't find any other write ups that mentioned this much trouble and I confirmed the part numbers on the alt again and they are right!

WTF, I didn't change anything enough to put that much slack in the belt. :dunno:

Stock length serp belt = 97.5"

Belt that worked with new setup = 91.5"

Where did the 6" go after the swap..................... :dunno:

Back