• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Trans slips out of overdrive HELP

Dirt Biker Boy

NAXJA Forum User
I am running 33's with 4.56 gears and I had the trans rebuilt about a year ago, I had them put in a shift kit and everything. It shifts hard but it will not stay in overdrive on the highway. Any tips please. THANKS

i'll give you a tip ..how about the year of the jeep it makes a difference.

depending on year the trans has its own computer that could be taking a crap

well since the AW4 is by far the most common auto tranny in XJs (and you said overdrive) I'm going to assume that's what you have. AW4s do not generally take well to rebuilds, even done professionally. What shift kit was put in?

Most AW4 shifting problems seem to be traced to a faulty TPS. An easy way to tell if it's an electrical problem is unplug the TCU (under the dash, passenger side on 96 down, driver's side on 97+) and shift manually (no 2nd) with the floor shifter up to speed and see if it will go into OD.

My dumb suggestion of the day would be to take it back to whoever rebuilt it, and see if they have an answer. One of the first things you need to do, given the way an AW4 behaves, is to determine for sure if it's dropping out of fourth gear, or if the torque converter is unlocking. An AW4 shifts a little differently from some other boxes, in that under normal acceleration it may lock in third before it shifts to fourth, but otherwise it shifts to fourth then locks in third. It can be difficult to figure out exactly which shift is taking place.

Back