• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

My XJ sprang a leak

Lowrange2

NAXJA Forum User
Ok so i was toodling down hwy 203 and noticed a ton of white smoke coming from the back of my jeep... I pulled over and the smoke was coming from the oil burning on my headers... I havent really had a chance to look at it yet but i noticed that the oil seems to be coming fromt he passenger side of the engine above the oil pan but dosent see to be coming from the valve cover... I was thinking maybe a oil pressure sending unit leaking or somthing??? Anybody know what has oil pressure over there? 1993 XJ COuntry 4.0 Thanks

my guess would have to be oil filter adapter o-rings. i believe its a dealer only item but theyre still cheap. comes with like 3 rings of different sizes and if I remember correctly theres a good size torx bolt holding it together.

MoparManiac said:
my guess would have to be oil filter adapter o-rings. i believe its a dealer only item but theyre still cheap. comes with like 3 rings of different sizes and if I remember correctly theres a good size torx bolt holding it together.
I second this.

If it was the adapter Oring then why is it getting on his header?

At highway speeds the airflow will move fluid from leaks all over the place. I just cleaned up my engine to track down a coolant leak from the rad tank. The leaked fluid was all over the place.
Wash down your engine and drive it a bit more, then take another look.

Could be coming from anywhere, I had a leak in an old CJ of mine, it was shooting all over the place( the fan moving the leak for me) I found it finally, it was coming out of the thin plastic tube the oil sending unit had conected to it. Took some searching for sure. I think the size of the torx is a T60 but I'm not sure. JOE>

I hope my problem is this simple of a fix... I presure washed the side of the engine and drove it up the road and narrowed it down to either the oil sending unit or the oil filter mount... It's still hard to tell... Ill replace both of the damn things...

Also the Oil pressure guage fluxuates rapidly from 20-60 while its running... at idle its around 20 and when i give it throttle it jumps as high as 60... i realize that it should fluxuate some but i didnt think it should change that much...

How Quickly is it changing? Does it Jump or just come up to 60

1985xjlaredo said:
How Quickly is it changing? Does it Jump or just come up to 60

JUMPS a lot! like 20 at idle and then i step on the gas and jumps to 60, then i let off the gas and jumps back down to 20. Fast. still with the oil leak...

Inspect the area around the oil filter. The sending unit for the oil gauge is there. Clean it all up with some sort of degreaser, wipe it down, then start the engine and rev it up a bit looking for leaks. I'd bet bad sending unit if it's jumping around, or the o rings for the oil filter adapter. Oil sending unit is like 26 bucks at Napa, just bought one myself last week as I had 80 psi at idle and it pegged it any time I gave it gas. :) You can also check the gauge itself by pulling the wire and it will go full scale, if you ground the wire to the block it will go to 0.

markw said:
Inspect the area around the oil filter. The sending unit for the oil gauge is there. Clean it all up with some sort of degreaser, wipe it down, then start the engine and rev it up a bit looking for leaks. I'd bet bad sending unit if it's jumping around, or the o rings for the oil filter adapter. Oil sending unit is like 26 bucks at Napa, just bought one myself last week as I had 80 psi at idle and it pegged it any time I gave it gas. :) You can also check the gauge itself by pulling the wire and it will go full scale, if you ground the wire to the block it will go to 0.

Aight ill try that... thanks!

my thought is the sender. i just had to replace mine because i was spitting oil out the back and through the plug about 30 bucks no biggie. but my pressure used to go nuts for about 2 months and then just quit working all together... i just replaced it about 2 weeks ago. that would be my first guess....the sender.

ok so after some closer looking the sender and the o.f. adapter have no fresh oil on them... On the other hand-when i drained the oil there was a lil bit of water in there with it... head gasket right?... once I moved some stuff out of the way i can see a fresh run of oil coming directly from the passenger side of the engine from between the head and the block! UHHH*! F***! So luckily for me a head gasket is only 19 bucks as opposed to a 190 dollar ford ranger head gasket like i had to buy before! So how involved is changing a head gasket on a jeep? Easier than a 4.0 Ranger?

I got the head gasket but once i got there i started to wonder if it had TTY Head Bolts... The brilliant 90 year old lady at Oreily's couldnt seem to pull it up her computer...Can i reuse my head bolt or need to replace them?

You can reuse the head bolts one time. Bolts need to be tightened in a special sequence and progressively tighter. Start in the center of the head and tighten the bolts in a circle pattern to the outside. Tighten all to 22 lbs first, then to 45 lbs and then to 110 lbs except for the head bolt on the front drivers side. That head bolt goes into the water pump area and most have Loctite 592 sealant on the threads. Because the sealant reduces friction, that bolt only gets tightened to 100 lbs. Paint the head bolts white on top to show they were reused.

It's very important to mark the push rods and rockers and put them back in the exact same place. I use a cardboard box with holes to hold the push rods in sequence and put the rockers in Ziplock bags that are marked with a Sharpie. Mix these parts up and you're asking for a problem.

Tom

Back