• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

one last issue after aw4 swap

Tre

NAXJA Forum User
Ok well long story short i swapped in a aw4 out of a 88 donor into my 88 peugoet 5spd equip'd xj.

all went well. it runs and i can drive it. shifts fine.

but theres something wrong with the 4x4 linkage. and i'm thinking that it has something todo with that bracket on the side of the aw4 where the linkage pops into. it binds so much i can't get it to shift into N or 4lo. just 2h and 4h.

it will still be like this even if i unhook the linkage going to the transfercase and move the lever in the passenger compartment.

what i'm wondering though is. is there a difference in that bracket between a 242/aw4 combo and a 231/aw4 combo?

cuz the donor had a 242 under it. but i opted to keep my 231 so i bolted that to the aw4 instead.

any guidance are help here much appreciated. i'm probably gonna hit the bone yard saturday morning to see if i can score the linkage off a aw4/231 equip'd xj.

The bracket is the same, but the rod that links the mechanism to the case is a different length depending on the tranny. There's 3 different sizes, short-medium-long. IIRC, the AW4 is the longest, and the AX15/BA10/5 is mid-sized, and the AX5 is the shortest.
Hit the 'yard and look for an AW4/231 combo and swipe the rod from it.
HTH,
Jeff

The hole in the body bracket may be different as well. When I swapped from an AX15 to AW4, I used the AW4 linkage bracket which was 3" longer. This put the pivot hole 3" further forward from the 231 xfer case. The rod was also 3" longer. 12" versus 9" as I recall. I had to drill the hole in the body bracket 2" further forward. The 3" - 2" equaled the AW4 being 1" longer.

thats kinda what i was thinking as well.

thanks for the insight. gonna hit up a boneyard right away and get at it. and hopefully get it fixed so i can go wheeling this weekend.

well since its canada day here. wreckers were all closed. and i want to get out wheelin.
so i used some of my clever thinking.

i cut the linkage rod in 2 then threaded both ends and put a long nut like thingy on it. and presto. adjustable length linkage rod :D

works like charm.

Back