• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Wha trans do I have?

r/c-pilot

NAXJA Forum User
I've got a 1998 4.0 xj with a 5spd trans. Was it a good trans? Bullet proof or problem child? It's got almost 100k logged, no problems. Thanks for replys

I've got the 5spd AX15 in my 96 sport and it is tight. The FSM calls for 75W-90 API Grade GL5 Gear Oil. I was able to find 80W-90 API Grade GL5 locally. Now it's time to figure out where the gear oil leak is after I took a 2500 mile turkey day trip across the river and through the hoods.

Do not use GL-5 - the AX-15 has bronze synchroniser rings, and the added sulphur in GL-5 is antagonistic to copper alloys (like bronze...)

GL-3 is preferred, but GL-4 can be used (prefereably limited use.) A good parts house will carry both GL-3 and GL-5 on the same shelf - just check the label.

Apart from that, the AX-15 is a decent transmission - I just put one in my 88. I still want to get rid of the "internal" slave cylinder, tho...

5-90

Back