• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Distributor ?

lonestarxj

NAXJA Forum User
I have searched and found my question but there was no answer.
What is the easiest way to change a distributor.
Can I just mark the housing on the old one and copy to the new one and install.
Or follow FSM
All reply's will be appreciated.

1994 4.0 HO

Turn the dist so the rotor is facing 180 degrees to the block and then put the new one in so it's facing the same WITHOUT turning the motor at all. There should be a notch that the dist drops into for the bolt.

Pull cap. Mark rotor location on housing (single mark.)

Remove distribut clamp, pull distributor STRAIGHT up WITHOUT rotating housing! Mark new rotor location on housing (two marks.)

Transfer marks to new distributor housing. Align rotor with double mark. Insert distributor housing STRAIGHT into engine block. Verify rotor alignment with single mark. If you're "one tooth off," I think that translates to something like 10-15*, but I'm not sure offhand.

Reassemble around new distributor. With practise, this job takes about 20-30 minutes.

Two things to bear in mind -
The distributor drive gear has helical teeth - it WILL turn the rotor when you are pulling the dizzy. That's why I tell you to make two marks.
Make sure you use the SAME point on the rotor for both marks - I'll usually use the rotor terminal centreline, just to be sure.

5-90

Yah. The second mark (I usually just make two "tick" marks) is where the rotor ends up AFTER you pull it out, and the single tick mark is where it was before.

Installation is the reverse of removal - line the rotor up with the pair of "ticks," press in, and the rotor should end up on the single "tick."

Mainly, you end up making both marks to verify what's going on.

It is VITALLY IMPORTANT that you do not rotate the distributor shaft while in the housing! If you're moving the dizzy from one engine to another, it's a bit complex, but still doable quickly (you just have to work from the target engine, not the donor.)

5-90

Back