• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Front Grand Wagoneer 44 swap

HeavyMetal

NAXJA Forum User
i know a lot of people must have seen this thread and just cracked their fingers ready to respond with 'search'

my browser is having a lot of quirky issues with the search for whatever reason, maybe site maintenance related, i dunno, but with that over and said...

My dilemma. I am on the verge of running 35 inch tires, with most likely some sort of locker. I was planning on just running my dana 30 because i drive easy on it and have some faith in it. But i'm just feeling like i'd like to have something really bulletproof for the setup if im going to do it. The problem is, im going to be running TNT arms so i'd like to keep a HP front to keep the driveshaft over the arms so it isnt the lowest point. (any experience with this sort of logic to convince me otherwise??) Also, i plan to run OEM style wheels and would realllllllly like to keep the 5x4.5 pattern. I run 2" spacers right now without issues for over a year wheeling everything i could throw at it. Is it possible to keep the 5x4.5 pattern with a waggy 44 front and still retain a 2" spacer?

12GAXJ said:
6x5.5 to 5x4.5 wheel adapters would work. The waggy front is a bit wider than the XJ front, FWIW.

o right i didnt think of that. isnt it like a 1-2" different overall? if that even?

i would definitely run an adapter, but not sure how wide they can be found in

check out the axle sticky.

but to sum it all up. if you want a waggy axle your getting low pinion.
1980+ non vac disco is what you want.

It will be either 61.5" wide or 64" wide

for high pinion, look at late 70's fords.

and the only way i could think of keeping the stock lug pattern is by getting ford 5 on 5.5" hubs and using 5 on 4.5" wheel adapters.

www.ifsja.org
(check the fs section there often)

12GAXJ said:
6x5.5 to 5x4.5 wheel adapters would work. The waggy front is a bit wider than the XJ front, FWIW.

where would one find such an adapter?
6 lug to 5 lug, never seen it.

12GAXJ said:
Im sure there are a few companies out there that can make them for you.

Like here.

http://www.airbagit-store.com/product_list.asp?id=1478

Im sure there are cheaper ones out there too. :dunno:
exactly what i was looking for, thanks a lot

and yeah i know all the HP44 axles are all of the full width variety (at least as far as i know), just wanted to see if anyone had any real complaints about LP axles with the tnt arms

yep he is right. 6-5.5 to 5-4.5 adapters will not fit over the front hubs of the waggy axle. And the bore of any factory XJ/TJ/ZJ wheel will not allow enough room for a lockout hub to fit through. It would just be easier to use the factory waggy wheels with an adapter on the rear or get some cheap steel wheels.

you coud:

Buy a waggy housing
buy some Dodge 5 on 4.5 unit bearing outer knuckles from a 1/2 ton Dodge from 1975-80, some dodge stub shafts, somd dodge brakes, some dodge rotors, dodge unit bearings
assemble it all and fabricate mounts

and in the end put a lot of time and money into something that wouldnt be any better than a Rubicon front 44 that would bolt right in, have a better unit bearing system, has aftermarket support for the stub axle shafts...

I think trying to keep 5 on 4.5 will be a MAJOR crutch in running a front 44...

what rear axle are you running?

can you not find some 5 on 5.5 or 6 on 5.5 rims that you like?

XJ_ranger said:
you coud:

Buy a waggy housing
buy some Dodge 5 on 4.5 unit bearing outer knuckles from a 1/2 ton Dodge from 1975-80, some dodge stub shafts, somd dodge brakes, some dodge rotors, dodge unit bearings
assemble it all and fabricate mounts

and in the end put a lot of time and money into something that wouldnt be any better than a Rubicon front 44 that would bolt right in, have a better unit bearing system, has aftermarket support for the stub axle shafts...

I think trying to keep 5 on 4.5 will be a MAJOR crutch in running a front 44...

i actually speced all of this and came to the same conclusion, and since i carriy a full complement of spares i would have to set it all up double, if i go front 44 at any time it will be hp44 with matching 9 inch and set it up right with alloys and the whole deal, but built properly and driven properly my 30 will hold up fine to the 33's that i run

Back