• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Where to buy heim joint rod ends?

barillms

NAXJA Forum User
I want to use heim-style Tie rod and drag link ends.
I don't need the humongous $90 dollars ones. Mad 4wd has ones for around $45 each, but I'm lookg for something in the $20-25 dollar range. Any recommendations on size, or where to purchase these?

barillms said:
I want to use heim-style Tie rod and drag link ends.
I don't need the humongous $90 dollars ones. Mad 4wd has ones for around $45 each, but I'm lookg for something in the $20-25 dollar range. Any recommendations on size, or where to purchase these?

You will find that most things in life are "you get what you pay for". Steering and suspension joints are most deffinatly one of them. I recommend a FK Teflon coated non greasable joint. I use 3/4" joints and they run about 43 bucks a piece. I buy them at Motion Industries.

High quality joints are very important when you are risking your life and others as well.

What size heims??

What size Heims do I need to buy?
What do I need for for tie rod and drag link.. 2 right handed threaded heims and 2 left handed threaded heims? For proper adjustabiblity?

Re: What size heims??

12GAXJ said:
Yes, 2 RH and LH. Im using 3/4" shank with the 5/8" hole rod ends for OTK steering and the TB, if that matters..

Those are the same ones I've been looking at. How long have u had them, how are they holding up, is your xj a DD, what tires are u running? Wondering if the 7/8's shank would be worth the extra 40-50 bucks for my particular situation. Check out ballistic fabrication's website. I'm not associated with them but they are very helpful, I plan on buying from them when I make up my mind.

wannabe said:
Those are the same ones I've been looking at. How long have u had them, how are they holding up, is your xj a DD, what tires are u running? Wondering if the 7/8's shank would be worth the extra 40-50 bucks for my particular situation. Check out ballistic fabrication's website. I'm not associated with them but they are very helpful, I plan on buying from them when I make up my mind.

In the process of building still. Not DD though. Im running 33's currently when the stuff goes on.

i have been running these for 1 1/2yr on 33 boggers..not dd..wheel hard with no probs..the heims are still tight like day 1..

pscmotorsports has heims at a good price with weld in plugs, alignment spacers and all. I run a full hydro setup and used them. Pricing seemed to be the same if not a little cheaper than some others.

i bought mine from these guys -
https://www.spydercustoms.com/

I went 7/8" shank 3/4" thru bolt hole because all the tie rod end failures that I have seen have been at the shank... and I didnt want mine to bend/break there...

I have about 1.5 years on mine as a DD, and my heim joints are too slopy to be safe on the road anymore...

BUT! I have wheeled the piss outta them, and beat on them QUITE a lot - the cool bends in my tie rod attest to this, and they havent had any signs of failure...

one reccomendation would be to buy a COMPLETE set of spare heims (all 4) and keep them with the jeep... I wish I had new heims to put in before my most recent trip - I had to rent a trailer to get there because the slop in the heims made it un-safe to drive... and I couldnt find a local source for heim joints...

the BIGGEST advantage to TRE's IMO is that they are available in ANY autoparts store...

I used all right hand thread heims so I only had to carry one trail spare... that and poison spyder customs was out of left hand when my order went in...

maybe you ought to complete your thoughts and make one thread... ...

Good idear?
I was looking at the Ballistic Fabrication site and the heims they offer,
both XM Chromo and EXM Steel versions. Steel obviously cheamper.
I saw 3/4 - 3/4 ...meaning 3/4 thread, 3/4 hole for bolt (correct?)
Also 3/4 - 5/8 ...meaning 3/4 thred, 5/8 (ball) hole for bolt?

I know I'll need Jam nuts...
Will I need the misalignment spacers also??

Am I understanding this correctly?

barillms said:
Good idear?
I was looking at the Ballistic Fabrication site and the heims they offer,
both XM Chromo and EXM Steel versions. Steel obviously cheamper.
I saw 3/4 - 3/4 ...meaning 3/4 thread, 3/4 hole for bolt (correct?)
Also 3/4 - 5/8 ...meaning 3/4 thred, 5/8 (ball) hole for bolt?

I know I'll need Jam nuts...
Will I need the misalignment spacers also??

Am I understanding this correctly?
Barrillms, you're correct. depending on what your doing you have several different choices. What I did on my XJ (6" lift w/ 35s) is drill out the knuckle to 5/8". Then get the 7/8" rod ends (recommended for 33" and up) and buy the high misalignment spacers to downsize to 5/8" (to fit the knuckle). Thats a very strong setup. You could do the same thing with 3/4" rod ends too. The high misalignment spacers are great because they give more rotation on the rod end and prevent it from binding. Check out http://ballisticfabrication.3dcartstores.com/Complete-Steering-kits_c_13.html if you need the whole package. Here's how mine looks.
passengerknuckle.jpg
driverknuckle.jpg

Last edited:
Back