• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Where should I jack the motor from?

davidb0986

NAXJA Forum User
I'm installing motor mounts in my 2000 4.0...got the drivers side in no problem.
Spent all yesterday trying to get the passenger side in, no dice. Had to leave the motor lifted by the oil pan, came back out this morning, and it is a little bent up in the middle :doh:. Yes, I did have a phone book in there :) . I dont know if I am comfortable with trying again under the oil pan, so my question is: Is there anywhere else to put the jack? what about on top of the UCA? I also have access to a cherry picker, but I don't know what it bolts on to to lift the motor. Any help is very appreciated!

i lifted my tranny/t-case while it was still in the jeep by the oil pan and im sure it was supporting some weight from the engine too.

i had a couple of 10" square pieces of wood that were about 1" thick and i made a platform out of those by stacking 2 or 3 of them. i dont think a phonebook is a good weight distributor.

-Tim

Keep a couple sections of 2x6 in the shop - about a foot long or so (long enough to reach across the deep sump, either way.) Use one or two of those when you have to lift the engine from underneath - that will spread the load.

When you're not using them, keep them in the bottom of the toolbox, on a shelf, or just put ring eyes in them and hang them from hooks in the corner...

5-90

Back