• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Crankshaft Position Sensor?

89Cherokee4x4

NAXJA Forum User
I think the CPS is bad in my XJ so i got my haynes repair manuel and looked up where it was. It says it is on the transmision bellhousing so i looked and i think i found it but i am not sure. Can anyone show me a picture of the location of the CPS or give me a better explanation of where it is.

You most likely found it. Near the top on the drivers side. There are 2 bolts holding it on.

if you crawl under the drivers side behind the wheel, on the left top side of the bell housing feel for the wires. there are two bolts which I found to be a real struggle to get off. If youre lucky, the old one just needs cleaned off(metal shavings) its a magnet and it attracts crap. But for the hassle of getting the two bolts off, it is worth just replacing with a new one @ around 35 dollars. By the way, it was harder yet to tighten the new one on, so I have the lower bolt and no upper holding it. TOO FREAKING HARD. that and the fact that it was 20 below when I was doing it!

The cold certainly doesn't help. Use several very long extensions and a "wobble" extension on the end. A universal joint can help too. It will give you just enough reach and angle over the bell housing to get the other bolt on.

you can undo the trans crossmember and lower the trans a little to help out.
if you think those bolts are hard try getting off the 2 torx bolts at the top of trans holding it to the engine. now imagine how I feel when I just undid every bolt to remove trans and find the very last bolt is stripped and of course its the little torx bolt on the passenger side so I cant get to it with anything but a socket and like 6 extensions. :(

Aren't those reverse head torx bolts a nightmare? :cry: I stripped one out removing my tranny because I used a 12 pt. socket. Finally had to use a Dremmel tool with a cutting wheel to slice through the head....Major PITA!

BTW: The two CPS bolts are 11mm IIRC. Be careful you don't drop the top one into the bellhousing! Good luck.

Is this an oem part, or like Denso or Bosch, is there a preferable aftermarket maker,

thanks,

Back