• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

D44 Brake Question

macgyvr

NAXJA Member #120
NAXJA Member
I recently acquired a D44 rear axle out of a TJ. I'm going to swap this into my baby XJ. The D44 is the housing and shafts (no case/gears/brakes). I have an 8.25 in it currently and a D35 (both forsale) from an XJ. Will either one of the drum brake setups on the 8.25 or d35 work on the D44?

mac 'building a mall crawler' gyvr

you might wanna go to the parts store and have them look up the brakes for a TJ. when i used to have drums on my TJ, i don't remember them asking me for axle or size difference, so they might be interchangeable to some point.

otherwise, you can buy disc brakes from a 03 and newer TJ rubicon and they'll bolt on without any modding, cutting drilling or anything else. a TJ disc brake conversion is as easy and a brake job.

thanks for the reply. i'd like to do rear disc, but this is a hopefully inexpensive upgrade to my "2nd" modified XJ...this one is staying roadworth as the other one isn't so much anymore...

the guy i bought the d44 from located the stock backing plates for the drums so i'm in good shape to get brakes...

mac 'stopping power' gyvr

Yes, the 8.25 should be the same pattern as the TJ 44. The XJ 44 is the only one I know of with the larger pattern.

Now, try to use your brakes because the TJ brakes are 9 inch drums, where your 8.25 should be 10 inch drums, but either set will work.

i'll look into that if i can stay with the bigger brakes...especially since i'm going to 31s on this one and the brakes are good on the 8.25 vs the brakes i'd have to buy for the d44...

mac 'braken up is hard to do' gyvr

Back