• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

overhead console connections ?

brak

NAXJA Forum User
ok, i was changing oil today, and noticed a connector dead center behind my front bumper. it has 2 wires, light blue and dark blue. doesnt seem to be connected to anything i can see. im guessing this is for the temp sensor for the overhead console i dont actually have. is it real as simple as connecting the temp sensor, and the console itself ? also, how can i tell if i have the wiring in the ceiling ? is there an easy way to check ? it doesnt look easy to pull down.

it's strange that my cherokee seems provisioned for options i dont have. i added a hitch recently and found i already had the nut strips on both sides !

it's an 01 sport, 6cyl auto

Dont know too much about the 97+ cherokee's, but it sounds like it is indeed the temp sensor. In the 96 and older cherokee's the 2x3 OHC plug is found up underneath the passenger side dash, but i dont know about the 97+. And if the 97+ are similar, the connection of a sensor and a console, it should work. They are also equipped with mpg, miles till empty, tripmeter, etc. and i dont know if this will be wired into the computer seperatly. But if you can find a connector under your dash, you should at least have a compass/temp readout.

All cherokee's are wired for all options, it just depended on what the factory wanted to install on it at the time.

88XJSport said:
All cherokee's are wired for all options, it just depended on what the factory wanted to install on it at the time.

it works to our benifit. oem upgrades are a lot easier.

if your not already equipped, your still wired for stuff like fog lamps, rear defrost, rear wiper, OHC, temp sensor, courtesy lamps, rear sound bar, etc. most if not all will be plug n play for the most part.

stewie said:

if your not already equipped, your still wired for stuff like fog lamps, rear defrost, rear wiper, OHC, temp sensor, courtesy lamps, rear sound bar, etc. most if not all will be plug n play for the most part.
X2! I found my rear hatch wires, rear defrost wires, rear wiper wires, under dash light wires, and my vacant clock plug. I have took advantage of all but wiper and defroster. And since my xj is older than 90, the OHC was non-existant, (first year offered was 90) so i had to hardwire that in, and it was simple.

stewie said:

yea, i got all those options except the OHC and temp sensor. if i can do it cheaply, im gonna go for it.

brak said:
ok, i was changing oil today, and noticed a connector dead center behind my front bumper. it has 2 wires, light blue and dark blue. doesnt seem to be connected to anything i can see. im guessing this is for the temp sensor for the overhead console i dont actually have. is it real as simple as connecting the temp sensor, and the console itself ? also, how can i tell if i have the wiring in the ceiling ? is there an easy way to check ? it doesnt look easy to pull down.

it's strange that my cherokee seems provisioned for options i dont have. i added a hitch recently and found i already had the nut strips on both sides !

it's an 01 sport, 6cyl auto

the temp sensor wiring is there, but the ceiling one will be different. search for the writeups on installing these on 97+ and you'll find you need the console AND wiring harness. if you find a console in a junkyard, there will be the harness attached to it unless someone already took it. you just need to splice some wires if you don't find your exact year in the junkyard. (because the lower harness won't match up-but the wiring will)

88XJSport said:

Not true. There where different harnesses for the different trim levels. If your XJ didn't come with fog lights the wiring is not in the PDC under the hood. For the Console you will need the harness that is spacific to it. If you didn't have ABS, or the Inifinty sound system the wiring is not there. There is a trailer tow option that included wiring for a lighting converter. The list goes on.

what would it take to hook up an overhead console to a 99 SE model???

XbajajeepX said:
what would it take to hook up an overhead console to a 99 SE model???

read above...

console (with the bracket that holds it in place), wiring harness, and front temp sensor.

Well I have all the wires but the overhead console was not there when i got the jeep... I dont even know what it is supposed to look like... I did notice that the plug up front has what looks like a temp sensor... I really have no idea what it is... lol.. What all does my overhead console readout? 93 XJ Country

scoobyxj said:
Not true. There where different harnesses for the different trim levels. If your XJ didn't come with fog lights the wiring is not in the PDC under the hood. For the Console you will need the harness that is spacific to it. If you didn't have ABS, or the Inifinty sound system the wiring is not there. There is a trailer tow option that included wiring for a lighting converter. The list goes on.

Well you know what...now that i think about that, youre probably right. Thanks for the clarifying!

lowrange2 said:
What all does my overhead console readout? 93 XJ Country
IIRC temp, and direction on the pre97. The 97+ will have a second trip ODO, a trip time recorder, temp, direction, DTE (distance to empty), instant fuel milage, and average fuel mileage.

If you have an extra connector under the dome light assembly on your 98+ it was for keyless entry.

Back