• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

replace ujoint or the shaft?

wannabe

NAXJA Forum User
I've been running a D30 with the super 30 kit (bought used axle) for awhile now and noticed the long side ujoint is destroyed. At first I thought it was the balljoints because Im getting some 12 to 6 oclock movement, would a bad ujoint cause this or could it wear out the bearing and cause this? Looking at the joint closer the previous owner tacked the caps and the holes the caps sit in look like they "may" be slightly out of round. I can't tell if he welded them knowing they were out of round or not. Any suggestions on whether the shaft is saveable? Its my DD so I cant leave it in pieces waiting for a shaft to show up and its a 30 spline chromo shaft thats prob +300 bucks. Thanks

To qualify this response, I will tell you I am not a mechanic so I may be wrong. It seems to me that both the axle and the bearings are bad. When you get the 12-6 motion, I thought it was soley from a bad bearing pack. IF the u-joint ears are in fact wollowed out of round, you will not have a lot of luck keeping those together. Replace the shafts and be done with it for peace of mind on a dd. The other option, depending on if you need the 4x4 function yet in Oregon, you can run the rig without the shaft in at all. Get a good bearing pack in there, bolt it together and that is what holds the wheel on. It is not a long term solution by any means, but it may buy you some time to get a new shaft. The big problem with that is the axle tube is exposed and junk can get in there. Admittedly it is not the best fix, but if the axle grenades going down the road, it could cause damage to more parts inculding inside the pumpkin. If you do this, definitely change the oil when you get the full setup back in place.

Thanks. I'm curious if the ujoint failing could have caused the bearing to fail. I've already replaced one bearing on that side but didnt notice the ujoint failure at the time. I have another bearing so thats not a prob but the 300+ for a shaft could be.

Back