• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Can I...

Glazzed

NAXJA Forum User
This is my first post so I will introduce myself. I have a totaled '98 with the 4.0/ax15 combo on 6.5" running 33's that I'm looking at salvaging. I'm picking up an '87 4.0/ax15 from a tow yard to swap everything over.

I did some searching and heres my question, can I swap in the motor out of the '98 and put in an aw4 a donor '91 into the '87? Any input would be appriciated aswell as insight on problems I will run into.

Thanks in advance,
Jasen

You have to use all the electronics from the 98. The 91 AW4 might have a sepreate TCU, where the 98, has a PCU. (*I think). Since you have an AX15 for the 98 motor and electronics, use the 91 AW4 computer(if indeed they have a seperate TCU). Use the 98 intake and exhause manifolds too. Also the oil filter adapter is different.

Thanks much.

So everything should be pretty much bolt in together, right? IIRC the '91 does have a seperate TCU, do I need to tie it into the PCU or does it run independantly? If it matters I'm also looking into awShifting. Another thing to throw at you, are the crossmembers for the aw4 and ax15 different?

Glazzed said:
Thanks much.

So everything should be pretty much bolt in together, right? IIRC the '91 does have a seperate TCU, do I need to tie it into the PCU or does it run independantly? If it matters I'm also looking into awShifting. Another thing to throw at you, are the crossmembers for the aw4 and ax15 different?

The 98 is a stick, so you just use the 91 TCU. Don't know about crossmembers though. Haven't been down that road yet. :D

Back