• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Steering

XbajajeepX

NAXJA Forum User
Well I have a 99 XJ and my steering is starting wear out and I am looking to get a new steering set up....The jeep is completely stock as of now but I will be putting a RE 3.5 and 31's in the near future. I kind of want to get the steering and a few other things up to par before I lift it though....So my question is, what would you guys suggest for a steering upgrade from stock thats not too crazy. Or should I just buy some new stock steering components and call it good? Thanks

Mike

I've been very happy with the Currie HD steering system. Its recommended for at least 2" of lift though, so it would probably be a good idea to wait for the lift to go on before you install it.

I have already looked at all those threads...I am looking for something that I can use while it is still stock and also once it is lifted....

You could get the whole ZJ setup, which would be a slight improvement over stock XJ components.

I'm using a V8 ZJ drag link (which for the life of me looks exactly like the XJ one) with a Big Daddy tie rod. Also have a Kevin's trackbar conversion and a Durango steering box. Oh yeah, also a C-Rok steering brace.

This stuff will work on a stock vehicle. And also on a mildly modified rig.

xjohnnyc said:
You could get the whole ZJ setup, which would be a slight improvement over stock XJ components.

I'm using a V8 ZJ drag link (which for the life of me looks exactly like the XJ one) with a Big Daddy tie rod. Also have a Kevin's trackbar conversion and a Durango steering box. Oh yeah, also a C-Rok steering brace.

This stuff will work on a stock vehicle. And also on a mildly modified rig.
the reason it looks this way is it is the same piece. ZJ n XJ drag links are the same thing.
the tie rods are very different tho. ZJ is solid bar, mucho beefy, XJ stock tie rod is hallow little tubing.
I got the ZJ tie rod on my DD, do some offroading but nothing crazy for now, it holds up very well to what I do and what other have used it for from what I have read.

beakie said:
the reason it looks this way is it is the same piece. ZJ n XJ drag links are the same thing.

Yeah, that's what I suspected, although someone told me otherwise. Strange though how the two parts have different part numbers.

http://ballisticfabrication.3dcartstores.com/Complete-Steering-kits_c_13.html

Heim joints are much stronger than TREs. Drill out your knuckle to 5/8" and bolt it up. Easy as pie. I would recommend the 3/4" heims if you are running 32" and below. For 33" up, do the 7/8" heims.
Here's how mine looks with 35s.
passengerknuckle.jpg
driverknuckle.jpg

I also used a zj pitman arm, its 1" lower than xj

Im torn between that rustys kit or that ballistic kit....

I am curious about that also......Does anyone have anything good to say about the RE steering???

FIREBLADE said:

I hope thats at full droop, that drag link end looks maxed out, and I'm pretty sure I can see pavement in the other photo..

I don't know how good of an idea it is to start pulling tie rod ends out of a junkyard, but i'll agree at 31's the v8 zj setup is probably the best bang for the buck. You can pick it up at autozone for not too much coin, new in the box.

Back