• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need info ASAP please

justin H

NAXJA Forum User
I need to know if there is a cheaper way to make a d35 in my comanchie stronger so i can run 35's or would it just be cheaper an easyer to scrap it an get a 44 out of a ford???

thank's justin

The cheapest way would be to score a D44 from a Cherokee. There have been several posted up lately. Running 35's on a D35 is pushing it. I'm not saying it can't be done and hasn't been done, but do you really want to spend your money twice. If it is a mall crawler, no big deal, but I've seen too many destruct in the rocks around here. You will spend more beefing up a D35 than it would cost to go with a D44.

Having said that, a D30 running 35's is asking for trouble. I popped two axles within 10 minutes of each other in Moab.

You could also score a 8.25 out of a XJ, 96 or newer for the 29 spline axles.

RichP said:
You could also score a 8.25 out of a XJ, 96 or newer for the 29 spline axles.

I thought it was 97 or newer. I am pretty sure my 96 is a 27 spline. Am I wrong?

Kim.

I don't think it matters too much where the donor axle comes from as you'll need to cut and redo the spring perches anyway. The MJ spring perches are sprung under and spaced a little different. A spring over works pretty well in the rear btw. I think most Explorer axles are geared 4.11 and would have disk brakes, but it's a bit narrower so you'd have to keep that in mind.

thank's for the info, i think i have an 8.25 in the rear already it's the front i'm worried about.
anyhow lastnight by the grace of the wheeling god's or luck of the irish either one, I came up on a pair of 60's f/r.
so if all go's right i will be useing those wich came out of a newer ford f-350.
thank's much guy's

justin H said:
thank's for the info, i think i have an 8.25 in the rear already it's the front i'm worried about.
anyhow lastnight by the grace of the wheeling god's or luck of the irish either one, I came up on a pair of 60's f/r.
so if all go's right i will be useing those wich came out of a newer ford f-350.
thank's much guy's

ok. to the best of my knowledge, the MJ didnt come with a 29 spline 8.25. (kinda hard when the MJ stopped in 92 and the 29 spline started 96+). i think even the 27 spline is a streach.

does your rig have ABS? if so you do NOT have a 8.25 plain and simple. ABS was offered with the Dana 35 only.

if you in fact do have an 8.25 stock , then it will be of the 27 spline variety which is only marginaly better than a D35 some would say.

here is a chart that shows the shapes of some popular diffs. pay attention to the subtle differences in the 8.25 and the 35. peticularly the 8.25 will have a flat lip on the bottom extending down below the edge of the cover. the 35 is oval on the bottom and has no flat lip. the edge will terminate shortly after the cover.

jeepdiferentialssl3.jpg

i think right now a axle swap and especialy full widths may be a little out of your league for the time being. shoot, i know it is for me.

if you do deside to go fullwidth, i would suggest not going at it alone. many here have done the mod and can/have given pointers and write ups. a simple search will aid you in learning a ton about the topics of axles, gears, steering, and full width. its enough to give one info overload. also since the spring mounts are the wrong width on the 60's for the xj, one should be very confident in their welding abilities to attempt a full width mod.

hth
stewie

Back