• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Pondering the mysteries of leaf spring clamps...

GAJeep

NAXJA Forum User
Oh, the sultry seductress' song of do it yourself mods - it sucks me in every time...

The latest is a bastard pack for a two inch lift on my kid's XJ. Everything is great right up until the subject of leaf spring clamps is broached.

First, are they really clamps or are they actually clips? Second, what real purpose do they serve - to clamp and compress from top to bottom or from side to side? If from side to side, how tight should they be? And these questions are just the beginning....

How many per spring? Where to locate them on the spring? Paint, rubberize or leave bear? Do it yourself or store bought?

If store bought, from where? And, what kind?

If do it yourself, what approach? What metal? How thick?

As the afternoon wears on, I sit on the stool in my garage typing this desperate cry for help, the leaf packs in the back ground pleading "what to do about clamps" and I do not have an answer for them.

Will someone please help?

Seriously, any advice on spring clamps? I am finishing up a bastard pack install, per Rock Lizard's writeup, and need advice on the spring clamps. In the writeup, 3/16 x 1 steel bar is used to fabricate clamps. I have 1/8 x 1 bar and I made up some clamps as described, but they seem less than perfect for the job. The way they are made, I am afraid that they will move back and forth on the leaf pack. I also looked at some clamps at Auto Zone that have a u-bolt with a plate for the top. If I go this route, how tight should they be. I don't want to inhibit the individual leafs from sliding on each other. I have also check at numerous other suspension places and all of theirr clamps require rivets. Any advice would be appreciated...

they are meant to keep the springs from moving side to side and are usually located as far up as possible. usually near the top of the shortest long leaf.

say you have 4 leaves
1 O____________________________O
2 _________________________
3 _|________________|_
4 ________

they would go where the L's are drawn

ive never made my own so i cant really comment on any of that..

Last edited:
While the clamps prevent leaf seperation, they are used mainly to keep the spring pack centered. You can use something like a square u-bolt with the flat bar with two hole in just fine. You mentioned you can grab some at Auto-zone or wherever. As far as tightening goes, use common sense. Tighten them only enough to keep them from sliding up & down the leaf pack. Place them about 2-3 inches in from the ends of your bottom leaf.

Back