• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

GPS units for unknown roads...

Jeep-Guy

NAXJA Forum User
I’m trying to find the best GPS unit that will allow me to travel farm roads in Eastern Washington. I have been looking for what feels like ages but I have been unsuccessful in locating a unit that will display small or literally unknown roads. I simply need a good units that will work offroad, on small unusual roads, and a big screen (so i can see it :) ). Can anyone suggest a good unit? Thanks for the help....

jeep guy, best thing probably would be to buy the extensive WA state road map, the one that shows all the eastern WA roads. believe me, i'm from the same type of area.....a lot of GPS stuff doesnt have all the lil roads and stuff in there.

garmins however do have good units...i keep meaning to buy one, then i spend money on other things lol

Tell me what area you are looking for and I will screen capture my Garmin map for that area...then you will be able to see if it will fit your needs.

I would not offer this to a non-member.

Rev

the one i like was on my pda, which was navteq... www.navteq.com ... they really don't have handheld gps units but works great with windows based mobile phones or pda's, they found all little roads, along with detours if you knew there was a road you didnt want to take.

Rev Den said:
Tell me what area you are looking for and I will screen capture my Garmin map for that area...then you will be able to see if it will fit your needs.

That would be great! Im looking at the [FONT=&quot]surrounding area for
Pullman or Spokane, WA. Thanks for the help.
[/FONT]

mtsz52784 said:
the one i like was on my pda, which was navteq... www.navteq.com ... they really don't have handheld gps units but works great with windows based mobile phones or pda's, they found all little roads, along with detours if you knew there was a road you didnt want to take.

How detailed are the maps that navteq offers?

Here you go...

This is on my PC, but it it the same detail on my Garmin 376C. This is using the Garmin City Select software.
mapsource.JPG

Rev

Im in the military and one of the bast GPS's out there is the Garmin i3, its super cheap at about 209.00 on amazon.com and simple, what else could you want, oh but the screen is the size of a cell phones.

:cheers:

I run the TOPO! software on my laptop with an external GPS. The TOPO is is nive since you can see the lay of the land. It is not a package that gives you directions. It simply overlays your position on the map. I configure mine with a moving display off road. It runs about $100 per state.

Here is a link to a map it printed out. You can zoom in further if you want.. http://www.4x4getaways.net/Carnage.pdf

I´ve used the Garmin 276 now for two years and have just bought the new 278 - great display, big enough for car use, small enough to use it for geocaching and confluencing, good maps are available - I´d recommend this!

I use a Garmin StreetPilot III, it's a bit old fashioned but has a color display. I use Garmin's US Topo maps and City Navigator 7 for North America. I usually load both maps onto my memory module and flick between them as needed. The proprietory storage media is the only thing I don't like about the Garmin. I have a 256MB card but I have found that I had to reload maps from my laptop when I drove from east coast to west coast and that was only holding a narrow corridor of maps for the I-70.

Jeep-Guy said:
How detailed are the maps that navteq offers?
Garmin switched to using the NAVTEQ maps a few years ago. Comparing the Garmin Metroguide 4 to Metroguide 6, I'd say they dropped a lot of detail. I actually find the Recreational/Fishing maps to have more detail around me. I'm in North Idaho about 1/2-hr west of Spokane.

Last edited:
Back