• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

"turbine" like sound from driveline when accellerating

mr_W

NAXJA Forum User
My XJ has developed, since recently (week-or two) strange sound that comes from back, and sounds like turbine winding up when accellerating. It is loud enough, even my girlfriend asked what was that sound.. :)

Now, I'm at 3" of lift, without SYE or TC drop, and haven't got any real 'vibes', but maybe this sound is related to driveshaft angles.. ?

Is this common thing on lifted jeeps, or where should I start looking for ?? .. I'll try to put some drop (1") on TC, but other than that.. ?

BTW, it is 4.0, with AW4, np242, D30 front, D35 rear. Year is '90 for body and engine, and '87 for axles. Tires are tiny 31x10.5 BFG allterains.

Thanks.

Have you checked your torque converter bolts? My jeep made a noise first on acceleration, then intermittently when driveing, then almost all the time when driving. I know I should've taken it in WAY sooner to have it checked but eventually all the bolts came out and I wound up with a new torque converter (after dropping money that could have been spent on mods instead of repairs). Just my 2 cents.

Now I have a stupid question.. how do I check these bolts ? Where are they ? I'm sorry I had XJ with manual shifter before, which don't have this.. so it is something new for me.

No, it happens only when driving, and clearly comes from rear. There is that sound that comes on when i touch the pedal, and goes off when I take foot off the pedal. Doesn't matter how much I push it.. If I give it just little bit of accelleration, the sound starts.
And pitch changes with speed. At low speeds (less than 20mph) it is barely noticable.

Last time I had a "turbine-like" whine sound, it turned out to be the power steering pump.... Funny how sound travels cause I could have sworn it was coming from the rear.....You may want to check that out along with the previously metioned idler pulley.

if your sure its coming from the rear, it could be the rear diff either low on oil or the bearings are starting to go.

I also suspected on oil level, and checked it and indeed some of it was missing (looks like pinion seal has developed leak :( ), but even after refilling it, the sound is still there.

It doesn't seems to be steering pump, as the sound comes only when driving, not in neutral.

So, anyone have hints on how to check bearings, and which one ? I have (mostly) free weekend comming now, so it is a good chance to look around.

Hm, yes, checked for turbo :) It is still in my old turbodiesel XJ :) .. didn't remove it yet. Also checked for blinker fluid and muffler bearings.. none of them seems to need replacement. :)

If you're sure it's coming from the rear, it's probably a bearing in your diff.
I had a whining during acceleration with my old turdy five, turned out to be a carrier bearing. Swapping in a 8.25 was my cheap fix.

Oh no. Is there any other fix (perhaps not that 'cheap') than replacing entire axle. I've got another D35 around, but has wrong gears (stock 3.55 if I remember).. and this whining one has 4.10.. Not that I wouldn't like to switch to stronger unit, but they are kinda hard to find here.. and if I'm lucky to find one, it will most probably be pricey.

Anyway, did stronger stock units (8.25 or D44) come ever with 4.10 from factory ?? I got my 4.10/D35 from diesel 4cyl.

if you find an 8.25 that came from a 4 cyl jeep then it shoud have factory 4.10's, just like the 35 did.

I think I identified where it is comming from. Rear driveshaft ujoint has some play. Could be just that. But I suspect that it is failing because of funny driveshaft angle.. I guess I'd be better making some t-case drop, before going for new ujoints.

Thanks to everyone for ideas on what to check!

Back