• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Vacuum Canister has 4 hose on 89 XJ 4.0.

bill99hawk

NAXJA Forum User
Hi, I was looking over my Vacuum lines and notice that my Vacuum Canister has 4 hoses, 2 larger and 2 smaller. I was looking at some posts on here, and most of these canisters seem to have 2 or 3 hoses. I was wanting to find out some more information on the Vaccum Canister.

I know one of the smaller lines goes to the cruise control, that is not working for me. I also know that one of the larger hoses goes to my air box. What are the other big and small hoses for? Let me know.

Real easy one! I have the dual chamber too and mine had cruise control along with AC. (early ones had seperate AC and heater controls)

I have a 92, and my original canister has only one hose going to it. I just cut some fenders and bumper, so I need to move mine. As it's already cracked (I have the usual defrost only thing going on), I bought a used one at FNJeep, but this one has 4 hoses coming out of it. Any difference in performance? Anyone have any insight?

Details that may help:
92 Sport 4x4, 4.0L, A/C, cruise control

Alright, to follow up and answer my previous post:

The 4 hose vacuum canister is essentially the same as the 1 hose, but as carnuck stated above, there are two chambers.

The two holes centered on each side provide vacuum (for storage in the canister), which is equivalent to the one hose that ran into my old, cracked canister. The other two release vacuum. I tested this by sucking and blowing on the holes. Yes, I just wrote that on the internet. Uh-oh! Anyway, I sealed the non-centered (they are on the other side of the center hole opposite mounting brackets) holes up by cutting the rubber fittings that were connected there and filling them with epoxy enough to clog them (on the hose end, still wanted them to fit nicely on the canister), letting it harden, then reinstalled them.

Put it back in today, the two centered end hoses connect to a T connector, then up to my vacuum line. Works great, it's nice to have air circulation back.

Last edited:
Back