• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What size speakers do we have?

newjeepowner

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 99 Cherokee. I wanted to get rid of the stockers. I was just doing a search for speakers and before i buy something i need to know what size they are. I am going to replace the front door and the rear ceiling speakers.

Factory should be 5 1/4", but you can fit a 6 1/2 inch with a little work ... I've got 6 1/2 in my front doors and in my rear pods; the rear may be trickier to get the 6 1/2 speakers in, depending on the speakers themselves.

And be careful when replacing the front door speakers on a 97+. They have to be shallow in depth. If they're too tall, the window glass will hit them and not go all the way down..

SONY 6.5's
front
XS-V1641H
3XS-V1641H.jpg

rear
XS-V1630
2XS-V1630.jpg

Thats what I have in my 99, fit fine.

I just put my 4x6"s from my last car in the front of the XJ ('95) with no problems. They had holes to fit the bolt pattern already in the basket. They obviously don't fit in the recess, but there's still pleanty of clearance before the door panel.

xjohnnyc said:
And be careful when replacing the front door speakers on a 97+. They have to be shallow in depth. If they're too tall, the window glass will hit them and not go all the way down..

I have Alpine Type R 5 1/4" Components in the front using the plastic ring off of the stock speakers as a spacer and they fit with no issue of the windows

I need new speakers aswell and soon. I just blew out the driver side front and the others are getting pretty bad.

newjeepowner said:
Do you know what depth those speakers are?

XS-V1641H = 2 1/4" <--- dont think these are made anymore, 05 model

XS-V1630 = 1 13/16"

If you want real good bass.... dont get these unless you plan on some subs.
The 1641's are 4 way and the 1630's are 3 ways.

I put 6.5" Alpine Type S model sps-170a front and rear with no modification at all. Total depth from top of tweeter to bottom of magnet is 2 3/4". They ran $100 a pair at the local Best Buy which isn't too bad for a good speaker, but they are last years model. Current model is the sps-17c2 which is slightly higher wattage rating but no real difference otherwise. I think they run about $120 a pair right now.

newjeepowner said:
Do you know what depth those speakers are?

I have the same in my '99 and they are great. not sure of the depth but they do get very close to the grills in the front but in the back they fit just fine. Prolly just have to watch how you install them. They may not be nearly as expensive when I bought them. I got the 260w ones. Can't wait to get my 600w amp to the four of em. :cool:

i just went out and bought the El Cheapo's. Bought 5 1/4 JVC's. they sound better than the stock that was in there. money is tight so I could not afford top of the line right now.

Back