• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rusty's 6.5" coil. Cannot get it out!!

85xjwoody

NAXJA Forum User
1996 cherokee, 6.5 coils up front with a two inch spacer I am trying to take out. I disconnected the lower control arm and shock and I still don't have enough room to get the coil compressor inside the coil. How the _uck do I get the compressor in the coil to get the hooks over the coil? I have tried just about everything I can think of but still cannot get it to work.
Any thoughts or opinions on what to do are greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Kim.

disconnect track bar, if you havent, as well as sway bars. you may have to drop the whole axle, by disconnecting the uppers. you have DB's right?

skyjackedxj96 said:
disconnect track bar, if you havent, as well as sway bars. you may have to drop the whole axle, by disconnecting the uppers. you have DB's right?

I started with the passenger side and disconnected the sway bar, shock, lower control arm, and it still won't come down far enough for me to fit the hooks between the coils. The upper is not maxed out yet it still has plenty of travel. No drop brackets. I am taking out the spacers so I am not limited on my down travel so much.
I have a feeling I will be dropping the whole axle. I hope not. So if I disconnect the track bar will it give me the half an inch I need to get the hooks to fit between the coil?

Kim.

91 Jeep Project said:
I've never had to either. They make external ones though.................:thumbup:

With the steering, trac bar, and shocks disconnected, it'll go as far down as your brake lines will allow.

Well I guess I am tossing the spring compressor to the side and disconnecting some more things. With what you suggested 91 Jeep Project did you disconnect the control arms also?

Kim.

I was looking at disconnecting the from the drop pitman arm and the track bar. Is this ok or should I disconnect from somewhere else?

Kim.

Man, thats too much work. I just take off my spring retainers and flex it. They come right out.

ipkyss said:
Man, thats too much work. I just take off my spring retainers and flex it. They come right out.
I don't think that your setup is the same as mine. The lower control arms were limiting me from at first but after I disconnected them it would not go much lower. I have 6.5" springs with 2" spacers and they are in there pretty tight yet at full drop. With everything limiting me I will have to disconnect almost everything. This is the problem I am trying to get rid of right now.

Kim.

I'm assuming you are doing this on the ground right, try to do one side at a time.....With your lower arms and shocks disconected take a hi-lift and jack up one front corner. You only have to lift it high enough for the spring to become unseated at the top. Then make sure the bottom of the spring is not held down by any retainers or anything like that and simply lift the spring off of the axle and slide it off. This is how I did mine and it work perfect. Hope it helps!

JCSXJ said:
I'm assuming you are doing this on the ground right, try to do one side at a time.....With your lower arms and shocks disconected take a hi-lift and jack up one front corner. You only have to lift it high enough for the spring to become unseated at the top. Then make sure the bottom of the spring is not held down by any retainers or anything like that and simply lift the spring off of the axle and slide it off. This is how I did mine and it work perfect. Hope it helps!

I tried all of that but the steering I think is stopping it from going all the way down. These are some pretty tall springs. The jeep was sitting on jack stands with one side down all the way and the lower arm was stopping the drop. Disconnected and it went an inch further. Everything is disconnected except the upper arm which has plenty of room and the steering.
So I took off the other side the same and still no go. Cannot even move it with my hands. So down the axle comes unless somebody can convince me otherwise.

Kim.

What about the drivers side? The track bar and steering should not affect the droop on the drivers side as they pivot off the pass side.:confused:

JCSXJ said:
What about the drivers side? The track bar and steering should not affect the droop on the drivers side as they pivot off the pass side.:confused:

Lower control arm was limiting me on that side also but when I disconnected it it only went down about another inch or so.

Kim.

so you've disconnected the TRE's correct(1 TRE and the draglink end) off the knuckles/?

if you can use the compressor disconnect the lower control arm, trac bar, sway bar, and drag link at the knuckle (easiest). There is no real limit on the upper control are so the only thing stopping you will be your brake lines. if they are stretched that much you're putting a lot of strain on them and i"d say go ahead and disconnect them and get some yj lines

I ran into a similar issue when installing my 3/4" spacers. I took the factory jack and set it on the lower control arm with the top resting on the "frame rail". Before you do this, you need to jack the jeep up as high as you can to allow for the most droop. With the jack in place, slowly raise the jack. This will push the axle away and should allow you to either get the compressor on the spring or to simply pull the spring out. Just a tip that I used, good luck!

John

Get a pair of strut compressors. they go on the outside of the coil and work pretty good. If you have the right compressors, you can compress the side you're on and install the compressor. Then let it droop and the coil should come out. If you have lower bumpstop extensions, it makes it a pain. Good luck.

Why dont you allow the weight of you jeep to compress the spring, maybe even have a buddy sit on top in order to get as much compression as possible and tie the spring with some wire. Then when you drop you axle the sprig will stay compressed. I used this method with my mustang and it worked great. Hope it helps.

osmin

Back