• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Spring rates of Lift kits soft for racing??

profonde

NAXJA Forum User
Hi guys, please help with the fallowing can't decide which one to choose for a lift. I know Rubicon express and other companies make great lift kits but to my understanding they are generally for trail use and the springs they use are soft.. I am racing here its kinda rally so its fast . I am not sure if this type of lift kit would be good for me .Second alternative is do my own lift using 5.9 ZJ springs which i guess is a lot firmer. I am looking for a 2.5-3.0 in. lift. and haow about use a RE kit and upgrade sway bars(firmer)??

Search for threads with "spring rate" in the title. We've discussed all of the major manufacturers stock rates before.

That said, what you want to do is to find out the wire diameter of the aftermarket spring and plug it in to a coil spring rate calculator. Knowing the variables in the calculation will allow you to cut coils off of a particular spring (no matter the starting height) and threreby increase the rate.

If that sounds like too much effort, the stiffest 2.5-3.0" lift spring on the market has always been the Rancho 2.5".

As a guide, I think 220-240 lbs/in is a very good rate for running in the deserts of the American Southwest. They are stiff enough to control bottoming and soft enough that they don't beat you up excessively.

Back