• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dana 44 pinion seal leak

XJ4PLAY

NAXJA Member #1194
So, I noticed my rear diff was wet with fluid. In vestigated and found it to de diff fluid from the pinion seal.

Is this something the average home mechanic can tackle?

Looks like, according to my FSM and using the 8 1/4 as a reference, a couple of specialty tools are needed as well as fairly precise torque spec and procedures need to be adhered to.

Anyone done this that can give me advice?

Thank you

just mark the pinion nut in relation to the pinion shaft and count the number of threads showing, make sure to put the nut back on at the same exact position with the same number of threads showing.

No special tools needed other than an impact gun to remove it maybe.

You don't need to worry about the above. The D44's in Cherokee's were shimmed and not a crush sleeve.

Just take the nut off, inspect the yoke (good time to switch to a u-bolt style), pull the seal, put new seal in, and hammer the yoke back down. I like to put a new lock nut on and I still use blue locktight on them. Make sure it's tight, maybe 200 ft/lbs.

Lincoln said:
You don't need to worry about the above. The D44's in Cherokee's were shimmed and not a crush sleeve.

Just take the nut off, inspect the yoke (good time to switch to a u-bolt style), pull the seal, put new seal in, and hammer the yoke back down. I like to put a new lock nut on and I still use blue locktight on them. Make sure it's tight, maybe 200 ft/lbs.

hah yeah I didn't think about that. I used to run a GM 14 Bolt FF that had a crush sleeve and that was the method I used to prevent further crushing.

So yeah, disgregard my method posted and go with Lincolns :)

Still no crush sleeve in the currie units. I'm not completely positive but I think the Rubicon, Vets, and the aluminum grand cherokee are the only ones with a crush sleeve.

I haven't seen any of the aftermarket dana axles with a crush sleeve in them.

Back