• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Older style NP 231 question

CMNCHE

NAXJA Forum User
I have the older style 231 t-case which allows fluid to leak if the rear shaft is removed. Is there any way besides a SYE to stop this? Is there a way to adapt a newer style tail housing to it so it won't leak if you pull the shaft. Just wondering in case I have to pull the shaft on the trail.

Hit your local tranny shop. There are plugs that are in transfer cases that are being shipped. They may have some laying around.

You could try carrying an extra slip yoke to slide over the end and tape in place, if you happen to have one lying around of course, otherwise the water bottle is cheaper...

non-stick said:
You could try carrying an extra slip yoke to slide over the end and tape in place, if you happen to have one lying around of course, otherwise the water bottle is cheaper...
Tape it to what?it will be turning!

RCP Phx said:
Tape it to what?it will be turning!

Doh!!! :doh: Too much coffe this morning :eyes: and not enough sleep last night.

Just use the water bottle technique. OR do an SYE, whichever you prefer.

I'm going back to my corner now... :dunce:

Do a search for converting to the newer style tail housing. I think someone did it last year or maybe the year before. I think they have the same problem unless you do a SYE though.

Back