• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Deambered Taillights

TheHighHeat

NAXJA Forum User
This isn't really modified tech, but something cool I saw on another forum, I have always hated having amber turn signals on the rear and with my front signals cleared it's really bothered me so after looking around I decided to do this:

as you can see it's no longer amber
and because I know someone will ask this, the lights are a little bit less bright, to the point that they don't glare anymore but they are still bright enough to see with no problem at all
BUT

it did make the reflector part not reflect as well
to do this I cleaned the lens really will with dish soap, taped off the housing and reverse light and sprayed the turn signal and brake light area with Testors Spray Enamal: 1605 Transparent Candy Apple Red, I found it in the model car section of a hobby store, now I know you will ask why I just didn't paint the turnsignal area only because that would have left the reflective area just fine, well after doing this I decided that the paint wasn't a perfect match and IMO it looked better as one red than 2 shades, left me know if you want anymore pictures, Jamie.

edit: click pictures to get full sized ones

Last edited:
looks good but i think thats actually illegal... vehicle lighting configurations are held to federal standards.. i know a guy who was failed on his state inspection because he swapped on XJ/Wagoneer tail lights to his Cherokee (waggy is all red lens)... its really a technicality that will depend on if you have inspections in your state or run across a trooper who knows his regulations..

just food for thought..

Check FMVSS - I know there are restrictions on altering vehicle "safety" ligting (like turn blinkers and brake lights.)

If it was an OEM option, it's more open - like putting Waggy taillights on an early Chero, f'r instance. That would result in "deambering" lights.

Another example is that care must be taken when installing a taillamp flasher (like Gall's "Traffic Backer" - I've done a few for company security departments) so as not to actually flash the centre brake lamp - which is a direct violation of FMVSS. Brake and turn signals may flash in pairs, which is why boxes to do so are readily available.

FMVSS = Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards. Governing regulations for crashworthiness and safety lighting and equipment. Enhancements to FMVSS may be found in your state vehicle code, with a little looking. Most states make printed copies of the vehicle code available through their Motor Vehicles departments for a rather nominal fee (I think I last paid about $8 for California's Vehicle Code book) and it's worth having. It's amazing just how many tickets you can get out of with that book, I've found...

5-90

I just went to Autozone and taped them off with a reflector repair kit. The slots cover it up perfectly. I also had them painted to match the rest of the car to add to the look.
2065986_65_full.jpg

2065986_64_full.jpg

Back