• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Moab + Front Locker = Good and Bad?

andyr354

NAXJA Forum User
R0 Moab + Frnnt hckdr =@ood and Bad?

Just got back from moab, this mod is now on my list. 33" LTBs rtic
to wel I foub myself runnin arnund`n 2hi @pitd a ht so I could turn.

Any links to a writup on an install?

I have a Lockright for my D30 Non Disconnect running 33's. It will be great for 99% of the wheeling I do here in SE TN. I am going to Moab in 2 months though, and with traction as good as it is there, I'm debating if I should wait to lock it up until I get back.

In a SWB Jeep, It's no big deal... but I'm afraid the binding associated with dual lockers and a longer WB on the Slickrock may cause breakage problems, if not just a pain to steer.

I have even heard horror tales of snapping axlejoints while just turning around on slickrock. What's the scoop? If you have been to Moab, locked up, with a non disco D30, please opine on how it performed / turned. With such a flexy susp., is there a real need?

We will be running the 4 and 4+ trails such as Pritchett, Golden Spike, etc. We won't be messing with the BFE trails.

Thanks

A front locker is good in Moab. It will get you up and over the numerous slickrock ledges.

I've had no issues with turning or breakage on the slickrock. Just got back from the Rubicon, which has a couple of slab sections which are similar to slickrock. No problems.

BTW, I'm running a No-Slip in a non-disco D30 with 33s.

if your worried about breakage don't go. bring spares and install the locker

I have a locked Disco front end with a posi, so I can disconect it when I want. I spent a week in moab a couple months ago and LEFT it connected the whole time. No problems. Not very many tight turns out there. Just my experience. I say Lock it and forgetaboutit!

if your worried about breakage don't go

Uh... not worried about thrashing on fun stuff breaking parts. Am worried if simple acts like turning around are going to snap stuff and make me waste valuable time in the promised land.

Sounds like it's no big deal though.

Thanks

Harvo said:
Uh... not worried about thrashing on fun stuff breaking parts. Am worried if simple acts like turning around are going to snap stuff and make me waste valuable time in the promised land.

Sounds like it's no big deal though.

Thanks

Lock-it, and have fun, oh enjoy the heat:smoker: :smoker: :smoker:
Turning will be a little more trouble, but just take it easy. I have been running a locked 30 non-disco and 35's for years in Moab and only one broken front u-joint/axle and one front carrier.

Where is a good place to get the 2 low conversion for the XJ case? I know my buddy in loves it in his YJ and I like the Granny low in my CJ (which is essentially the same thing but in the tranny) I actually never thought of it n the XJ. How badly do you have to wreck your interior console to make the shifter work?

Harvo said:
Where is a good place to get the 2 low conversion for the XJ case? I know my buddy in loves it in his YJ and I like the Granny low in my CJ (which is essentially the same thing but in the tranny) I actually never thought of it n the XJ. How badly do you have to wreck your interior console to make the shifter work?
i'm pretty sure it leaves the console looking stock. I'd start by calling some of these people, one of them will sell it: http://www.naxja.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?s=&daysprune=&f=65

Harvo said:

you don't have to mess with the console at all. nothing inside will chage in appearance.

I have the Tera2 lo kit.....but i never used it in moab (i have an aussie in front with a non-disco axle as well)

The first time I ran the front locked in Moab I hated it, in twisty sections of trails like Spike and Hell's Revenge. Thought something was going to break for sure. Put a 2-low kit in and it was a huge improvement.
Most of the time it's a huge benefit.. but there will be a few spots on a few trails where the locker really wakes you up.

I have only found two sources for the 2Low kit from Tera and I have never heard of either of them. Where did you get yours and how much do they cost usually? Did you do the install yourself? How bad was it?

Thanks.

Harvo said:
I have only found two sources for the 2Low kit from Tera and I have never heard of either of them. Where did you get yours and how much do they cost usually? Did you do the install yourself? How bad was it?

Thanks.
are you just checking websites? just call a few NAXJA vendors and I'm sure someone can get them and will give you a good deal.

Harvo said:

Thanks.

www.dc4wd.com

www.porc.com

Any company that sells Tera Flex products can get the 2low kit.

I got mine from www.mesa4x4.com . It was a couple of years ago, I'm not sure of the exact price. You pull the back half of the transfer case off and swap the range sector for one with an additional detent that allows the 2wd low function. No shifter modifications occur, the rearmost position becomes 2wd low. The new shift pattern is 2wd hi>4wd hi>N>4wd lo>2wd lo, the part-time light still indicates when the front is engaged. One of the best modifications I have made to my Cherokee, it really enhances maneuverability on the slickrock.

BrettM said:
that was my first thought as well

I'll put in my 2 cents on a 2Low....best mod I've done for working in high traction environments. Did all the 4+ stuff in Moab that we had time for and it was so much easier with the 2Low.

A shameless plug for www.DC4WD.com , the price was about 30% back of retail and arrived in 2 days. Simple install and you'll never go back. A year ago it was $140 shipped.

Back