• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New bolts for suspension but with goo from the factory!

88WoodXJ

NAXJA Forum User
88 XJ 4.0L 242TC,

I have about 20 years on my rig and some of my big bolts keeping my control arms in place have gotten pretty rusted and in bad shape especially the threads. The guy who aligns my rig recommended that when I upgrade my control arms and shackles that I replace those bolts.

I bought the bolts and nuts (6$ a piece) from the Jeep dealer, but they have some orange substance in the threads I imagine is some type of loctite. Well my Jeep is now grounded as the threads won't go over that goo. I got one of the bolts I hadn't used yet and can't get this stuff off. Used heat, rust remover, acetone, dish detergent, etc...

This stuff is giving me fits and the dealer says all of the bolts I order in the future will have the same stuff...should I go junkyard shopping because new bolts are unuseable?

Help...and yes I tried a 24" breaker bar to advance this nut on this bolt and it would not budge...

Ya got new bolts ya say....you sure the thread is the same pitch as the nut....the new bolts didn't come with new nuts.....Take the new ones to the dealer....I know,Iknow,nobody trusts the dealers...see if the can figure out why they don't work.....GEE YA DON'T THINK THE PARTS PEOPLE GOT THE WRONG PARTS DO YA.....Naw,that's not possible....them parts people ARE ALWAYS RIGHT........
NOT!

The nuts thread all the way to the goo no problem and are hand tighten and loosen up until the goo - loctite type stuff. I will take a bolt and nut back to the dealer and listen to them expalin how to fix.

Thanks

Wire wheel them suckers ...then use the REDthread locker...
Maybe the "goo" was put on to protect the threads until ther are ready to be used.......

that goo keeps the bolts from rusting. use brake or carb cleaner and it will come right off.
And no it is NOT some form of loctite

icu_runnin said:
And no it is NOT some form of loctite

Actually icu, it is Loctite. It's just so old that it hardened to the point that it won't squeeze out anymore. Ya gotta figure, those bolts are 18 years old! I run into that problem all the time at work with the old cars people bring in. Just wire wheel it off and use new red loctite as said above.

The torque on those bolts run from 60 to 130+ ft lbs,Put some back into it man.:laugh3: .I replaced those bolts and never had that big of a problem with that "goo".
Wayne

Back