• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cig Lighter Light and Ignition/Key Lights

CommandoXJ96

NAXJA Forum User
I seem to remember that a long time ago (not anytime in the last few months at least) the clear plastic ring around each of these lit up - the lighter with the dash lights I think and the Ignition when the door came open. All my other lights work and I don't believe these two items have their own fuses. (didnt find any zapped ones in a quick check either). Am I crazy or did they used to light up? I think maybe they have bulbs that burnt out at the same time or something to do with a fuse I didnt see. 96 4.0... no power doors/windows.

I diddn't think there was a light on the lighter (mine burned up years ago btw). But there is a light on the key cylinder, buried under that steering column cover, etc. It could have burned out. Its controlled by a thermal switch/relay/whatever under the dash (like a metal film can, above gas pedal if IIRC). Open the door, this switch is triggered by the door switch and heats up. The key light stays on until the switch cools off.

Back