• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What to do, what to do...

So I'm kind of in a rut regarding my XJ. Right now it's got an RE 2" kit, 31" TrXus M/Ts, stock 3.07 gears in a disco D30 and a c-clip D35 (the worst axle combination ever to appear in an XJ, I believe), and hacked fenders. I think I'm nearing the point where my driving skills have about caught up with the capability of my XJ, and I'm getting ready to go bigger. I know I'd need things like an SYE and better armor with any of the options I'm considering.

I'm toying with a few options.

1) I have a D44/9" combo in my driveway; the price was too good to pass up, even though I wasn't ready for them yet. I'd need to have the D44 re-tubed (cast mounts), and I'd do a full buildup if I put these axles under my Jeep: gears, full Detroit lockers, upgraded shafts, et c. Upgrade the lift to aboult 5 inches and throw some 35s under the XJ.

2) Swap axles, but to a D30 (non-disco) and D44 out of an XJ. Build these axles, put in 4.88s and run 33s with an upgraded lift.

3) Find a set of stock axles (D30 and 8.25 most likely) with 3.55 or 4.10 gearing and just throw them under the Jeep, and worry about a long-term solution later.

4) Just carry a couple spare shafts for the D35, and continue wheeling it.

Right now, I'm leaning towards just wheeling what I've got, and taking my time to build the D44 and 9".

Any comments are appreciated. Just keep in mind that I'm a college student, so funds are pretty tight. I've got a steady job, 40 hours a week during the summer and 30 during the school year, but still, building my 1/2 ton axles properly would cost about half a year's salary.

looks like you have a long-term goal already set.. but in the meantime swap out the axles you have for a 30/8.25 set with 3.55s (since you mentioned the 3.55s i assuem you have a 5 spd and 3.07s) i ran 31s/5 spd/3.55s for a year and it ws a great combination. get more under-side armor and another 1" of lift and lose the c-clip turdy-five..

x2 on what Mike said. You should be able to find a set of 3.55 axles for cheap or even free. I gave away my 8.25 when I swapped to a 44. Maybe someone near you has swapped out and needs to get rid of the old axles... :)

And definitely get all your skid plates taken care of. I was kicking myself at NACfest for not having my gas tank skid on!

nhrocker said:
And definitely get all your skid plates taken care of. I was kicking myself at NACfest for not having my gas tank skid on!
I didn't dent it so badly at NAC-fest, but after my first trip through Rocky Meadow my tank capacity dropped from 20 gallons to about 14.

Firstly, get really well armored - There's no better feeling than slamming down and knowing everythings protected.

I'd also echo the above, get some free (or cheap) axles and swap them over. I just got a HP30 and 8.25 from a 2.5l XJ so I gained 4.10 gears as well as losing the D35.

Build up the big stuff slowly, time means you can wait for the bargains and buy parts in stages.

Just my opinion, hope it helps. Let us know what you do.

J

Back