• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Shopping for a XJ 2WD or 4WD?

I started shopping for a XJ recently and have ran across some good deals both 2WD and 4WD. I would like to know what most folks think about the Danna 30 and 35C that these vehicles come with. I have wasted plenty of money in the past on the 35C in the rear of my TJ and thought why bother getting a 4WD if I am going to buy a Danna 44 or 60 to swap in later. I don't want to waste any more money. The price difference seems to be around $750.00-$1000.00 in my area.
Thanks for your advice in advance!:)

Last edited:
You'd be better off getting a 4WD if that is your later intent to have it be 4WD. The conversion can be done but you'll quickly blow the 750-1000 you saved by only buying a 2WD...because you'll need a front axle, T-case, tranny, and of course the D-44 or D-60 you plan to put in the rear.

The D-30 in the XJ's (up to 1999) is a high pinion model which seems to be more desireable than the wrangler versions. And if you get a '97+ you can have the chryco 8.25 rearend which is a fair bit better than the D-35.

Since you have some history & knowledge of the 35, and I have little, you know the score on it, as well as what you require from your Jeep.

If you intend to venture off road more than occasionally, or have winter weather driving to contend with, 4WD is handy. OTOH a 2x4 (moreso with a working limited slip) can do very well.

I feel a Dana 35 Rear is adequate for basic transportation needs and little more. The brakes are smallish, and the housing isn't very sag resistant without trussing. OK to keep one if it works, but not worth dumping much funds and/or time into.

I have no beef with the RR 30s in 99-below XJs. I'd avoid -93 ones with a disconnect axle and I'd install later model (new?) shafts and Spicer 760 UJs. For abuse, I'd truss it and add reinforcement to the control arm mounts.

My latest Jeeps are an 88 XJ Limited and 87 MJ 2x4. Both have D35s... The XJ won't be wheeled much or otherwise abused, so the 35 with Track Loc should prove more than adequate for my use (no abuse...this Jeep has never been off-road that I can tell, and I sort of plan to keep it that way) I will add a LS diff to the front and upgrade to 4.56:1 gears and 30" tires. With the AWD mode 242, it'll be a comfy and capable 'little' Jeep. Any intent of serious work would demand a better rear axle than a 35.

The 2x4 MJ will be getting my other MJ's Metric Ton 44 or a Ford 8.8" Explorer or 9" Lincoln. Limited slip @ 4.10:1, upgraded (alloy) axles and disc brakes whichever case.

I don't have a lot of faith in the Mopar 8.25" simply due to all the vibration issues folks complain about... The 27 spl open diff someone put in my 89 beater was strong enough for 33" with abuse, but for how much longer? I won't know since there is a 30spl MJ 44 in there now. Newer 29 spl 8.25 are stronger, but share the vibe trait. KJ's have added a dampener thingy to the pinion? Band-aid for NVH? These didn't end up on SWB TJs for a reason...

"I don't have a lot of faith in the Mopar 8.25" simply due to all the vibration issues folks complain about"

I've got an chrysler 8.25 on a 2wd model driven it every day for the past 15 years with no fluid changes and i dont feel any vibrations

Back