• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Detroit goes bang???

Gunner

NAXJA Forum User
Alright I looked around for threads with detriot failures and couldn't find one that didn't involve a broken axle shaft or u joint... I was out toolin around and everytime I turned right the front end felt like it was going to shatter in little pieces... My first thought was I lost a cap off the axle ujoint but they were fine..Both axles are fine. Took off the diff cover there was metal in the housing, the r&p is fine so I got to doin the little locker test of it releasing when there is no load and it won't and when it does it sounds pretty bad. I was on a flat dirt road when I noticed it... There are maybe 10 trails on this locker.. What the hell happened and am I doomed to the lack of warranty for over loading failure commen with axle breakage. Has anyone had this happen???

Is it a full carrier detroit? Is it a Detroit EZ Locker? Is it in a D30?

Sorry about the ?'s It sounds like an EZ locker.

Full carrier detroit. D30, 4340 shafts, 760 u joints. I just doesn't make sense. I had longfield joints and got rid of them to create a weak spot. If I was doing something stupid when this happened I would be ok with it but a bumpy dirt road?? I knew that they give up after breaking a shaft or u joint but that didn't happen. It just started binding up on a dirt road in 2 low.... And got worse everytime I needed to turn right. It's on jackstands now and I can't get it to engage at all. Bunch of metal in the carrier about the size of pencil shavings. Again the r&p and the bearings look fine.

Back