• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

WOW!! Temp gage is nice and cool!

JEEPTUBE

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 97 XJ and the temp gage says i am at around 195. That is insane since its like 105 and up around here in cali right now. I didnt believe it so i hooled it up to the drb at work and it was TRUE 195!!
I also have a 92 but it seems to run hotter at around 210 and 220 in the same heat. I wonder why they have diff temperatures?
Did they change something with the newer ones?:sunshine:

Not really.

Granted, I'd also not rely entirely upon the DRB, or other computer scanner/interrogator, since it's going to get its information from the same place your gage will (coolant temperature sender.) Use a non-contact infrared thermometer to backcheck the gage instead, since it will give you a reading on the same system with a totally different source (no point in back-checking a gage using the same sensor that drives the gage - that's why I tell people to check their oil pressure, when suspect, using a mechanical testing gage.)

It's possible you've just got a cool runner - I've got an 88 that DOES NOT LIKE having a thermostat. I put one in, it overheats. I don't put on in, and it runs just fine. I don't understand it, I don't know why, and it's the oddball (out of the five I've got.) "Don't ask me, I only work here."

Granted, you might also be just about to need a fan clutch in the 1992 - since they seem to last 3-4 years in the XJ (four years TOPS - I change them every three, whether it needs it or not. It usually does. Take a Sharpie pen or an engraver, and initial and date the thing when you change it. It helps you keep track, and is a good habit to get into on "maintenance" parts that need replacing at irregular intervals.)

As far as the heat outside - it's hotter than the hinges of Hell here in the Bay Area, and I usually have to go outside overdressed for a snowball fight. I'm a cold-weather critter, and it shows (I usually don't go for a shirt around the house until it gets down to about 55, and I'll dig out long pants around the house somewhere in the low 40's. Pants AND shirt somewhere in the low to mid 30's... I'm Scottish - whaddaya want? I also run a degree warmer than normal...)

5-90

Back