• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Replacing brake hard-lines

CJS

NAXJA Forum User
I need to replace my front hard lines going to the brakes (1990 4.0, AW4, etc.). What is the easiest way to do this and what do I need to remove in order to access the block in which the lines run (below the master cylinder).

Replacing hardlines is a PITA, but if they're rusted inside there's no alternative. If it's just a crimp or two, it's usually easier to cut out the crimped section, install fittings on the clean tube ends, and install a flex hose between the ends.

For doing tubing, you'll need a bender with proper jigs, seamless steel (not stainless) tubing of exact size, and flaring tool with fittings.
Buy extra tubing and fittings, and practice to get a feel for the tool to avoid crimping your final lines.

The PITA is measuring and placing bends in just the right places, at just the right angles.
You can cut-out the old lines, then use them as a pattern to make the replacements. Since they bend in three dimensions, getting the new lines to match isn't easy.
Above all, keep the ends securely plugged and avoid all contamination. A single grain of sand will eventually plug a tiny passage.

Check with NAPA, they might have pre-fitted replacement tubing available for your XJ by special order.

Dealer is pretty cheap

I just got some new lines from the dealer. Less than 20.00 for the two fronts bent and ready to install. There are still quite a few available
Dustin

Re: Dealer is pretty cheap

LT1XJ said:
I just got some new lines from the dealer. Less than 20.00 for the two fronts bent and ready to install. There are still quite a few available
Dustin
Post this in your diary!!

That's the smokin'est deal you'll ever see from DC!!

As far as lines go I can just take my old ones in and have them made for me as I wait. My main concern was how the heck do I get access to the old lines and what size are the fittings (what size wrench?).

Back