• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

External spare tire carrier

93XJdude

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 93 xj and am wondering if any of them came with an external tire carrier for a full size spare? i used to have a little doughnut thing and now have a full size one, and it dosent fit in the stock location.
thanks for any and all help.
Tony

Mine's a '92 export model and it came with a rear bumper-mounted carrier for a full size spare.

jeep1.jpg

Last edited:
If you're still running stock size tires, a full spare WILL fit inside, but you'll need a longer J-bolt.

i've got 30x9.50's and it does fit inside, it just takes up too much room and the door barely closes with it upright. i think i will end up mounting on the roof.
thanks for the responses
tony

yea I have a 235/75/15 spare and it fits fine
I had to move the j-bolt to the top hole but it fits perfectly
I also have a 30x9.50 on a 15x8 gambler that I will be using once I have the money to buy a new set of tires
but in the mean time I tried mounting the 30x9.50 in there and its tight but it fits fine and everything closes and latches
31's might be an issue tho
but I have heard people have fit 31's in the stock locale too

I have the old style through-quarter spare tire carrier which recently broke on me and put a nice crack in my fiberglass rear hatch. The Lugs on mine were just long enough to hold my 235-75R15 by about 1 or 2 threads. The Bumper mounted one would be advisable if u are trying to convert yours over. Not to hijack your thread but Dr. Dyno, what kind of white walls are those that u have? I think your the only guy besides me who has white walls on his XJ and knowing the stuff u have done to your rig they probably have a good leg up over mine.

Back