• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1-ton steering is done:

ZachMan

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Memorial Lifetime Member
Installed the JCROffroad steering this morning (with major help, haha) and I guess sometime soon the writeup will be on their site. Anyways I searched and searched and found only a few people with it and all had different lifts than me and are not DD their Jeep. The steering is now very firm no more mushy feeling, especially on rough roads. I didn't opt for the stabilizer and I don't think I need it. I've gotten up to 60-65mph so far with no ill effects at all, everything is positive. Let me know if you have any questions.

e388f7f5.jpg

Last edited:
Sweet, is there any way to run this OTK? or is the pass. side tierod design not let you do it?

skyjackedxj96 said:
Sweet, is there any way to run this OTK? or is the pass. side tierod design not let you do it?

You could (think BrettM is?), but you'll have to do a good bit more work.

skyjackedxj96 said:
I was wondering that also, it looks like the psngr side Tre/draglink union may be tapered the wrong way, if it is in fact tapered?

Skullvarian said:
I was wondering that also, it looks like the psngr side Tre/draglink union may be tapered the wrong way, if it is in fact tapered?

pics:

compare.jpg

P1010009.jpg

compare2.jpg

BrettM said:
did you have to enlarge the taper on the knuckle? if you did, why not from the top??
to run the draglink on the outside of the tie-rod, OTK, wouldn't you also have to reverse the taper on the psnger side tre? Hard to tell from the pics.

BrettM said:
did you have to enlarge the taper on the knuckle? if you did, why not from the top??

Yeah had to drill them out then ream them. Are you asking why not OTK? I didn't really have any need to upgrade from stock steering besides more beef and better steering feel, I got this kit from JCR for a discount (on here) and I jumped on it and glad I did, but with 4.5" of lift I don't/didn't ever think of upgrading steering beside what I mentioned. I went by the directions and am happy with what I got, I'm not getting all custom on my d30 setup, got too many other areas to put time/money into, my steering is done.

From searching I know a few "issues" will pop up if I did go OTK and well honestly I don't want to deal with that.

Last edited:
I have this on my TJ and LOVE IT!!! VERY BEEFY!!!

I found some old stock Jeep parts. the J series truck used this same steering and there are some "washers" avalible. these go between the tre nut and hub to help resist and prevent the tree from rolling under force. I think they work great, you may want to look into them as well.

TJSpacers.jpg

You can see the "washer" in the above pic. As I said, its a factory jeep part for the J series truck.

good luck,
CW

Did yours not come with the poly washer? I think they said they have been including it for a few months now.

skyjackedxj96 said:
Sweet, is there any way to run this OTK?

Yes:laugh:
RandomWinterpics080.jpg

ZachMan said:
Did yours not come with the poly washer? I think they said they have been including it for a few months now.

I spoke with them about this back when I bought the system. They said they didnot know about the part and loved the idea. They said they would be looking into adding it to the package. Did not know they did.....GOOD NEWS, it makes quite a difference once you get some miles on it.

Good luck,
CW

Lucas said:
Yes:laugh:
RandomWinterpics080.jpg

:drool:

Yeah I'll be keeping my steering and moving it to a hp d44 next year. Thats when it will be OTK. :)

You can go OTK, but you need to be aware of a few things:

1.) You will need to relocate your sway bar mounts on the axle.
2.) You will need to clearance the coil buckets to allow for steering to go Lock to Lock.
3.) Depending on your wheel offset, the tie rod could come into contact with your wheel. For this to be a problem, you would have to have a stock wheel or more b.s then stock.
4.) We ream the passenger tie rod end for either UTK or OTK. If you want to go OTK, you would need to make note to us, so we can ream it the correct way for your application.

Installation of our steering kit requires drilling the knuckles out to 5/8" and then tappering the knuckle with a 7* reamer. The 1 Ton TRE's have a much larger tapper. The stock knuckle has plenty of beef for this, and we have never seen anyone have any problems with breaking there knuckles.

Back