• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

EXHAUST LEAK?!

Harlee&Tahoe

NAXJA Forum User
Leak occoured this morning. Found leak between exhaust manifold and front exaust pipe bad seal, maybe. I hope. Would that explain my sudden loss of power? Power loss is worse as temps rise. I cleaned fuel and intake TB and CCV.
Thanks for any responses.
Harlee

a leaky exhaust will cause a loss in power...I know it did on my last truck that had a cracked header and 5.0 engine. I have a cracked header though on my jeep and it seems to have plenty of power.

I had something funky like that happen a few years ago. Mine turned out to be a bad/clogged catalytic converter. It basically fell apart inside and clogged the exhaust. Then the leaks were real easy to find .

found my leak to be worse than just the seal but also a cracked header. I'm going to start searching for new one or upgrade. Any suggestions? I believe I can use any year, and the only change is EGR bung...hole. Right?

Feels like I'm pulling 3 cars, NO POWER!! 1st gear used to have lots of torque now none. Motor will die unless I rev. up to 3500 RPM and slowly let in the clutch. Almost throaty sound from motor. I'm about to check Cat and engine compression. Feels like someones choking my 87 renix

You said......

Harlee&Tahoe said:
bung...hole.

I think you even said, "Found my" at the beginning. :laugh:

a while back i lost alot of power and my exhaust got quieter. i run a cat then cherrybomb, no tailpipe.then all of a sudden when i got on it hard there was a pop/bang and chunks blew out the muffler. i guess my cat went bad and i somehow was lucky enough to have it self deploy.power was immediatly back and noisy as ever.

Idle is fine. Accel. is normal when cold. However, when it is warm any throttle = little power. I have more power coasting!?? could it be a sensor? I'm starting think exhaust leak became obvious when I started searching for problems.
I can shift 123then4 easily while idling hit the gas and S#IT is what I get
HELP ME

Friends don't let friends ride junk

Last edited:
I've heard cherokees with the 4.0 liter tend to develop leaks at the flange from the exaust manifold to the back pipe. I bought mine a few months ago and have noticed a high pitched leak sound when accelerating. Has anyone heard of this happening normally in cherokees?

Several causes that should be checked...

1) Collector flange, header to downpipe. There are only two nuts here, and these work loose from time to time. Earlier ones are threaded 3/8"-16, so replacements are easy (I have excellent luck using half hard brass nuts, available anywhere.) Check these about once a year - takes two minutes.

2) Combination manifold screws into cylinder head. The inline six uses a long sealing surface for the manifolds, and this is complicated by the necessity of sealing both aluminum and steel manifold flanges using the same screws. Since aluminum expands twice as fast as iron/steel (.000012 inch/inch/degree F vice .000006 inch/inch/degree F,) this generates a torsional force, guided by the screw threads. These should also be checked annually.

3) Failed/failing engine/transmission mounts can cause the exhaust manifold itself to crack - usually, down by the collector. Suspect if you note that the mounts are going awry - replace all three mounts if even one is going south on you.)

Digging in the archives huh. Yeah common problem usually caused by other common problems.
Turned out to be a bad cat needed emergency adjustmentsHasta :passgas:replaced with pacesetter header and they re-designed downpipe (longer secondaries) new cat, and Dynomax turbo 2.5

Back