• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear Brake Line Extensions?

gung_ho_xj

NAXJA Forum User
Ok well I got the Rusty's 3" lift on fine but how do I put on the rear brake line extension bracket? The instructiions were..a little sparse. Do I even need the extension? I need some help tonight as i plan on testing out the kit tomorrow. Pictures would be awesome as rusty's doesnt supply any. Thanks

Last edited:
From Rusty's website describing the brake line extension kit.

Rusty's Offroad said:
bl-1_01.jpg

Our brake line extensions allow you to use your stock brake lines with lift kits. The front bracket extends the line down and bolts to the fender well. The rear bracket lowers the line from the frame. Both give more flex.

To install the rear, remove the e-clip at the frame (it pops off) and remove the line from the frame. Bolt the Z bracket in place and then move the line down to the large hole in the Z bracket and reattach the e-clip to hold the line to the Z bracket.

Sounds pretty obvious to me :)

HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!! Just did that b/c I had the exact same problem when I did my lift. I was really embarassed about it. They refer to something as the "E clip" in their instructions don't they? That made me think that the OE part that holds the steel line was what they were talking about. IIRC....what you want to do is remove the e clip (which is the piece that holds the steel line onto the OE hanger). Then bolt the extender they gave you to the OE one. Then reinstall the line onto the new mount with the factory e clip. Here are pics of mine. They are not great as the ground is pretty wet right now and I'm tired. Hope they help.

-river

15d3sxv.jpg

15d3tjt.jpg

15d3v2c.jpg

The e clip really looks like a c clip.

You're welcome sir. It's what I do. Lay on my backside in water and shoot film for others. And I'm spent.

110 dollars for stainless steel braided brake hose. Get them for a 8 inch lift so you will have plenty of travel. Very good investment...

alright; im in the middle of the rustys 3 inch lift on my XJ and was quite confused untill I found this also... know I know how its supposed to look. im afraid to stay im still confused as to how to remove the c/e clip from the oe hanger though - it doesnt seem to just 'pop off'. Do I need to first somehow disconnect the hard and soft brakelines.... or what? I'd call Rusty right now but hes closed on Saturday and Sunday.

grab the lil flange on the end of it with some needle nose pliers and start twisting and pulling. a lil tap on the other two ends to get it started while u pull helps a bit too.

You should be fine. I'm still running those extensions now. I have the 3" packs from Rustys and Chevy shackles (which netted me another 2ish"). Granted...my offroading is a lot of forest roads but I've wheeled and flexed it and been fine.

Back