• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

astroturf and linex

blathan

NAXJA Forum User
I got an idea to take out all the nasty carpet out of my 93 XJ and replace it with astroturf.. Is this a good idea? I am also contemplating Line X in the cargo area. When it gets hot in the XJ will the line X create harmfull fumes?

Astroturf?
Wrong sport, dude.

Seriously - go with the bedliner for the entire floorpan. I did mine in Herculiner several years ago (four, maybe?) and it's still in awesome shape. The fumes are done after a couple of weeks and the fears of outgassing when it gets hot are waaay overblown.
Line-X rocks hard. That's what I have in the bed of my truck and it's tough as hell. The do-it-yourself Herculiner is Much more affordable for a trail vehicle, however. Have you priced what it would cost to have the inside of your rig sprayed? The labor to tape everything off is a killer and COSTS. Whereas if you do the Herculiner yourself, you can take your time applying it with a bruch and roller and not have to mask the whole thing.

Good luck.

I own the Line-X store in Placerville CA, to answer a few questions there would be no fumes the product is a polyuera hybrid and is applied at roughly 170 degrees and @ 2200psi. Dry time is @5 seconds and it is hard enough to stand on in @ 1 minute. The material can withstand surface temps of roughly 250 degrees before it will begin to de- laminate or gum up. It is flamable and really hard to put out. It also hates welding slag. So you would want any cage plans or big welding done before doing this. Cost is a huge factor for most guys and since it is so high pressure and is applied at @ 1/8" in thickness the inside and outside has to be really thoroughly masked the tub has to be stripped of anything that bolts in and anything you dont want sealed or filled with liner plugged off or re-routed. Then it is sanded with 80 grit and cleaned with denatured alcohol prior to spraying. A competent dealer can do this in a day and would charge anywhere from 600 to 800 dollars. color would add 100 or so dollars to the price for most guys to do the job. Hope I gave you some insight. It is a really involved deal to do it PROPERLY. So beware of any spray on guy who low balls this sort of job because you will lose somewhere either in prep or the amount of coating you get applied or pure attention to detail.

Back