• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Auto Shutdown Relay?

tripz

NAXJA Forum User
Having a little free time today and I went to see if I can pull up any codes. My check engine light isn't on but I'm getting code 12 42 55. Yes I d/c my neg bat when I was working on the Jeep, and code 55 is the ending code. But what about 42 (Auto shutdown relay)? The car runs fine and starts-up and turns off with no problem. I've searched and got a brief description of what the auto shutdown relay does, but should I be concern about it if the car runs fine? How do I check the relay to see if it's working properly (Not familiar with electricals...but I do have a multimeter lol). If I have to replace it, do I have to go to the stealership to get one? Any input is greatly appreciated, thanks.

Several days ago i did the same on mine.In the power control box is a bunch of relays,use the diagram to pull the correct one.on the bottom of the relay are terminals they are numbered.Use an ohm meter to test
check resistance between #85 and #86--there should be 75 ohms resistance +/- 5 ohms
connect between # 87A and # 30 terminal--- continuity
Connect between #87 and 30---NO contiunity
There are further tests but if the vehicle will run they are not necessary/
the resistance on MY relay was 79.8 I just replaced it with the spare I carry in the glove box.
Wayne

Thanks for the reply, the resistance between #85 & #86 is 74.5 ohms, 87a & 30 is 0.5 ohms, and like you said no continuity for 87 & 30. The car will not turn on when the relay is not plugged in. So I assume everything is normal and should just leave it alone?

Back