• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

FRONT HUB SWAP

vette75406

NAXJA Forum User
Is there any reason why i cant swap later (mid 90's) hubs and rotors and calipers onto a 89 model housing to get the slightly better brakes and in this case not have to buy new parts as my 93 has new brakes and the 89 model housing needs everything replaced ?

wasn't there a different offset on the unitbearings from the early to late model stuff? You may have to use the unit bearings from the same vehicle you rob the calipers from. I would take the knuckles out.

-Dan

Dan Turner said:
wasn't there a different offset on the unitbearings from the early to late model stuff? You may have to use the unit bearings from the same vehicle you rob the calipers from. I would take the knuckles out.

-Dan
Yes, that's the difference. As long as you have matching hubs and rotors it should work out.

87manche said:
Yes, that's the difference. As long as you have matching hubs and rotors it should work out.

Cool, I have no personal experience with this, just recalling some info from past reading. But that's probably how rumors get started :rof:
-Dan

well that's what I found out when I was in the middle of an axle swap, and that's how I ended up with 97 bearings and rotors and 87 everything else. From all the comparisons at the parts store that's the conclusion we came to.

ill let you know the outcome shortly as im in the middle of my front axle swap now , i did not get a for sure answer so its trial by error:)

vette75406 said:
ill let you know the outcome shortly as im in the middle of my front axle swap now , i did not get a for sure answer so its trial by error:)
that's how I ended up with what I did, took three trips to the parts store to get it all right.

90's calipers dont fit the 89 amd older housing so no reason to change rotors and bubs , got to buy new parts , aint it always so!!!!

yeah, the problem I had was 87 calipers, but 97 hubs, but the axle had the brackets for the older calipers.
DOn't know what you get when it's used

87manche said:
yeah, the problem I had was 87 calipers, but 97 hubs, but the axle had the brackets for the older calipers.
DOn't know what you get when it's used

Exactly. You'll need everything outside of the ball joints, including the steering knuckles.

For the n00b... They changed in 90, then in 95. Everything 95+ I've seen is the same.

Back