• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Build advice please.

loke

NAXJA Forum User
About 1 1/2 year ago I bought a bone stock '85 XJ. 2.5 liter and 5 speed manual transmission.
I have since put a 3" lift kit on it from Rusty's as well as 31" TrxUs MT's on the stock rims. Removed the rear sway bar and installed disconnects in the front.

I was thinking about locking the front with an aussie locker (I have a D35 in the rear and don't want to lock that).

I am seeking the advice from the experts on what to do next. I'm not doing any rocks (yet) as this is my dd.

:worship:

I'm assuming your asking advice on whether you should put a locker in the front??
if not I don't understand your question
but I'll help with answering that one, you said your not seeing any rocks(yet) so why consider putting a locker in the front now anyways, wait until you plan on putting some rubber on some rocks...........but if you were so inclined to do it now anyways, I applaud your decision on not throwin your money away in the rear axle, and if your only going to lock up one axle I would do the front before the rear always, it's easier for your junk to pull your tire up and over an obstacle than it is for your rear to push.....................blah blah blah, I blabber alot, but I hope I helped

To clarify my question a little: I want to keep on building it up, but I'm not sure in what order I should do the upgrades.
Things I would like to do includes: Explorer 8.8 rear with a Detroit, 4.88 gears, couple of more inches of lift to clear 33's, swap to a supercharged Hemi, build bumpers, install winch etc.

The Hemi part was a joke.

All I can say is don't rush and do alot of research. I would say get armor first, make sure you have tow points front and rear then start worrying about lockers/lift/tire size. It's the little things that make it work in the end.

Good luck with the build, keep us posted!

Sean

PS: and I say go with the supercharged HEMI

if your doing it yourself I wouldn't think it matter to much as what order, if your having a shop do it, it generally wont cost as much if you do the axle swap, gears, and lockers at the same time, the shop I work at doesn't charge extra labor to put a detroit in while doing gears, but if you come back to get it put in later you'll pay full price, so advice would be check with your local shops and see what kinda of discount you can get if you do all axle work the same time, BTW 4.88's is alittle steep for 33's I run 4.56's and I'm completely happy with it............to bad about the hemi, I was going to ask how much your selling the stock engine for :D

My choice of gears are based on CRASH's sticky.........
If you have the unfortunate experience of owning a 4 cylinder XJ or a V-6, disregard the following and go to 4.88's for any tire size larger than 30".

As a good newb I actually have been reading some. :angel:

I see, well I run a '95 4.0 so maybe thats why I wouldn't run 4.88s
eitherway call around and see what kinda of package deal you can get if your not going to do it yourself

Back