• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Electrical Issues

keener

NAXJA Forum User
Hi,
I've got a 98 XJ Limited with 60,000 miles. I started out with the intent of running a 4 gage wire direct from the alternator positive post to the battery. I got the wire hooked up, but something sparked when I was screwing off the nut on the alternator. So I disconnected the positive lead on the battery. Now I can't reconnect it because it sparks like crazy every time I touch the lead to the positive post. The last time I tried it a little cloud of smoke came out from under the power distribution centre.
Any suggestions on what I can do about this ?
Obviously something has shorted somewhere, but I have no idea on where to start.
Your help is appreciated.

Well hopefully you learned something-1st rule when doing electrical work is to remove the"NEGATIVE" side terminal before doing anything else!

keener said:
Hi,
I've got a 98 XJ Limited with 60,000 miles. I started out with the intent of running a 4 gage wire direct from the alternator positive post to the battery. I got the wire hooked up, but something sparked when I was screwing off the nut on the alternator. So I disconnected the positive lead on the battery. Now I can't reconnect it because it sparks like crazy every time I touch the lead to the positive post. The last time I tried it a little cloud of smoke came out from under the power distribution centre.
Any suggestions on what I can do about this ?
Obviously something has shorted somewhere, but I have no idea on where to start.
Your help is appreciated.

obviously you did something wrong with wiring the alt

Back